Maintenance tips for absolute newbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_chilled_cyclist

Hi

I'm very new to cycling, can anyone point me in the direction of good resources to learn about good bike maintenance please?

Much appreciated :-)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There's a danger you will drown in a sea of information.

To start with, are you OK with fixing a puncture?

That is overwhelmingly the most likely cause of a breakdown so is the one skill you genuinely need.

There are some good reference works online, including parktools and sheldonbrown.
The basics include:
oiling a chain
fixing puncture
adjusting brakes
adjusting gears.

That will do you for 90% of your everyday "fettling" needs.

tom73

Guru
Nice thread @the_chilled_cyclist as another newbie links look great. I was also wondering if any one had any link'd to what to service and when. Eg what needs going after x number of miles. (as you get with cars) I know it will depend on other things but a general idea of what needs going when will help us newbies.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you can, find a beginners maintenance class. Your local council may offer them or a club or other organisation, but otherwise if you are near Evans, their class seems like good value

https://www.evanscycles.com/help/servicing/bike-maintenance-classes

+1 for the Evans Cycles Fix It Sessions - and the goodies you get effectively make it free.

Also heard good things about the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative courses.

GCN and Park Tools on YouTube are excellent sources of free advice.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was also wondering if any one had any link'd to what to service and when. Eg what needs going after x number of miles.
I'll have a go - but it's a bit 'head above the parapet' stuff.
Tyre pressures :pump: and checking treads for potential puncture causes - every week (latter easiest after a tyre clean)
Oil chain - every week / 300km
Clean rear mech jockey wheels, cassette and chainrings - every month (at the same time as a chain clean/oil or chain replacement)
Brake pads/blocks - varies massively but check every month / 1000km - adjust for wear as necessary. Rear ones last twice as long as front ones.
Check all bolts for tightness - every month (eg cable anchors, bottle cages, mudguards and rack stays, stem bolts, seat post collar, saddle rail/seatpost fastening
Lube cable guides under bottom bracket - 3 months
Remove, clean and refit seatpost - every 3 months (measure before removing and replace at exactly same height)
Chain - replace when it elongates by 0.75% - say after 2500km
Take off, clean and lube rear mech jockey wheels - every chain change
Cassette - replace every third chain
Bottom bracket - varies massively (but sealed square taper 20,000km, say)
Cables and cable outers - annual / 10,000km
Hanger alignment - annual (or immediately after any bash on the right side - when riding or in garage/car etc)
Chainrings - 25,000km for the one that gets hardest use (varies with material eg alloy). Distance shortens if you run (elongated) chain and cassette on together till 'slip'.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Check all bolts for tightness - every month (eg cable anchors, bottle cages, mudguards and rack stays, stem bolts, seat post collar, saddle rail/seatpost fastening

Remove, clean and refit seatpost - every 3 months (measure before removing and replace at exactly same height)

:eek: I am severely lacking ... :blush:

tom73

Guru
I'll have a go - but it's a bit 'head above the parapet' stuff.
Tyre pressures :pump: and checking treads for potential puncture causes - every week (latter easiest after a tyre clean)
Oil chain - every week / 300km
Clean rear mech jockey wheels, cassette and chainrings - every month (at the same time as a chain clean/oil or chain replacement)
Brake pads/blocks - varies massively but check every month / 1000km - adjust for wear as necessary. Rear ones last twice as long as front ones.
Lube cable guides under bottom bracket - 3 months
Chain - replace when it elongates by 0.75% - say after 2500km
Cassette - replace every third chain
Bottom bracket - varies massively (but sealed square taper 20,000km, say)
Hanger alignment - annual (or immediately after any bash on the right side - when riding or in garage/car etc)
Chainrings - 25,000km for the one that gets hardest use (varies with material eg alloy). Distance shortens if you run (elongated) chain and cassette on together till 'slip'.

Nice one @Ajax Bay great help for any newbie sure will come in useful

Top Bottom