Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My knowledge of anything mechanical is seriously limited - I can get a wheel off and replace an inner tube but not hugely efficiently. It's about time to improve the situation. Am considering acquiring 'The Total Bike Maintenance Book' by Mel Allwood.
Any comments?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
TBH........ you are already paying for internet access, make use of it and scour the net for all the info you need.

Gary E

Veteran
Have to agree with Rob3rt. A book will give you an idea what to do but there are so many different bikes with so many different components fitted that you'll probably still end up searching the internet for more specific advice.

Youtube is often a great starting point and there's every chance you'll find someone has uploaded a video with exactly what you're after :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got it and like it. Lots of photos to go with the words. Also have the Park Tools Blue Book. I personally don't like the Haynes one which I also have (I ought to be good at maintenance with the number of books I have:whistle:).

Although you can look things up on the internet, I object to having the bike in the living room (kitchen is fine), where the computer is, and on the occasions I have used the computer I've been in and out of the living room wearing out the carpet.

Skipper

I've learn't just about all of my bike knowledge from YouTube. Type in what you want to do, and hey presto, numerous vids showing and telling you how it's done. Now I have confidence in taking the gears apart, servicing a wheel, much more too.

compo

Veteran
The Total Maintenance Book is very good. I have a copy, found it almost new in a charity shop for 50p. I agree with using YouTube and the such like, but it can be useful to have the book to hand whilst actually doing a job.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
It is a very good book with clear instructions so if you can pick a copy up cheaply and you like books I think it is a good investment. In fact, I bought a copy for 2 of my sons for Christmas......in the hope that it would inspire them to do their own repairs and maintenance. It was on sale for £7.99 or there abouts in The Works bookshops.

OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

Thanks for everyone's input - much appreciated.

Rob: not paying but thats another story! (and probably best not discussed on a public forum!). Like Summerdays says, internet is not hugely useful to me as it is nowhere near where any maintenance might take place. Although I'm in no doubt internet vids would be useful, I know I would work better with a book beside me. Good for an over view before taking on a job though.
Alicat & Ian: heard differing views on this which is why I was asking about Allwood's book. Am tempted because anything recommended by our favourite man in BLUE must be good!
MattHB: great advice, thanks.

lulubel

Über Member
I don't know the book you mention but Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance has stood me in good stead as a general starting point.

There is also Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Mountain Maintenance.

I have this book, and it was all I needed to build a bike from scratch. YouTube was useful for things like seeing the amount of tension needed to wrap bar tape neatly, but I could have achieved the same results with Zinn, and trial and error for the fine details.

Top Bottom