Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilylass

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, I did have a quick look but couldn't see anything similar .. there probably is, so apologies & please steer me in the right direction!

New bike's arrived and is great.

Will just be doing some gentle rides (until I get my stamina etc up ) over the winter in the hope that I'll be able to do some lovely long rides next spring/summer.

Anyway, I'm after tips on looking after my new bike: I know nothing about this (I hate to say that I never bothered with my old bike):blush: but am hoping that this one will last me many years if I care for it properly.

So .... what do I need to do, how often etc.

:cheers:

snorri

Legendary Member
Cycle maintenance training courses are available in some parts of the country, ask at the shop where you bought your bike, they might be able to advise. :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Something like this post would probably go in Know How Lily, but i'm sure we'll forgive you :thumbsup:

Day to day maintenance is a good point to start with.
Make sure your tyres are fully pumped up. That way you'll (hopefully) reduce punctures. (You'll go faster too..or use less energy to go slow, whatever your style is)

In a week or two, it'd be normal for the gear cables to stretch, so watch out for skipping gears. Your LBS (assuming you got it locally) will sort it as part of its free service.

Keep your chain oiled, it'll help everything run well and avoid wear on sometimes expensive components.

As winter and wet weather takes hold, i regularly remove the brake pads (perhaps every couple of weeks) and dig out any debris that gets stuck in the pads. If you get a scratchy sound when you brake, thats a sure sign. Let it keep doing it and you'll risk damaging your rims.

I wash and paper towel dry my bikes regularly. Keeps them nice and stops corrosion setting in. A spray of silicone or furniture polish then protects the frame etc.

Checking tyres for bits of flint etc, remove them before they really dig in.
You can keep going and going, but there's a start....

OP
OP
L

Lilylass

Thanks Snorri, LBS do a 6 week free service so will ask them then.

Gbb, great thanks, that's kind of the basics I was after and will certainly keep me going until its service! (would never in a million years have thought of furniture polish!).

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
When using furniture polish and silicon spray be very carefull not to let any overspray go onto the braking surface on your rims!

Best to spray it onto the rag, then wipe onto your frame.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Degrease your chain and cogs once in a while (2 weeks or so) to keep it from getting too dirty. Dirt grinds away at the moving parts and wears them out. You just need some degreasing fluid, a brush, and then some hot water to rinse it off. Once it dries, apply a light spray lubricant to drive off any remaining moisture and to leave a protective film.

gbb

Legendary Member
When using furniture polish and silicon spray be very carefull not to let any overspray go onto the braking surface on your rims!

Best to spray it onto the rag, then wipe onto your frame.

Probably good advice anywayPaul, but i use a 'dry' silicone spray (not the 3inOne 'wet' silicone spray which is horrible stuff) and used to be paranoid about getting it on the braking surfaces. Over a time, i've realised the stuff i use has virtually no effect after a few seconds of braking. I spray, then ride the brakes for just a few seconds...no problem.

Another useful one Lily as the weather gets wetter...i spray some WD40 on the derailleurs them wipe off the excess. Its good for light lubrication and it does break down greasy oily muck. Try not to get it on your chain though. I usually do that whenever i clean the bike.

chewy

Welcome Lily!
About once a fortnight I use a old paint brush in degreaser to clean out the cogs and chain, the wash the bike with some wash and wax.
Dry it off then spray with car polish, re-oil and grease the chain working through all the gears with the pedals moving to work it in a bit! Also put a light coat of grease over the cables using thumb and forefinger too!
Also wipe off any water and roughly spray with a coat of Gt85 when i've come back from a wet ride. Its like wd40 only lays down a coat of ptfe as well as driving out moisture. Wd40 tends to evaporate leaving no protection.
Then I have to wash the car to save it from becoming jealous! :-D

potsy

Rambler
I think in these early weeks of having your bike you won't need to do much more than wash it,wipe the chain over and re-lube. Keep your brake blocks and rims clean,and check the tyres weekly for embedded glass/flint.
Happy riding
thumbsup.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A big pack of supermarket own-brand baby wipes are worth getting. They are very good at cleaning grease off bits before you re-oil, cleaning your frame, and generally tarting up your loved one. They also clean your hands.

Buy an airtight sandwich box thingy to keep them in.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Degrease your chain and cogs once in a while (2 weeks or so)" ...no offense, but this is the kind of comment that I think makes newbies think it's all much more of a shag than it need be. I've been riding 75 miles a week in all weathers for 7 or 8 years now and I've never degreased my chain and cogs.

AFAIC, it's simple: as others have said, keep your tyres hard (harder than you probably think - ask at your LBS when you go back for that service, and see about getting a track pump), keep your chain lubricated, and be alert in case any crap gets jammed in a brake block. (Having said which, that's only happened to me once or twice in that 7-8 years - I personally would certainly not dream of removing my blocks every couple of weeks or so. As a rule I remove them only once: when I replace them.)

Mostly, enjoy your riding! If you hear a squeak, oil it. And keep your tyres hard. In truth, that's about it.

Top Bottom