Making the switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Thegreatthor

Über Member
What width are you after? How much comfort? For the rear, maybe a folding Panaracer Pasela ProTite. The 32mm width is probably quickest. You might also be able to get hold of the 37-406 Pasela for the front. Otherwise a folding Maxxis DTH 38-406 for the front. Think I bought mine from Fawkes cycles.

probably 28 or 32mm. I’ll have a look at those 2 though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
For 32mm in 406 take a look at Continental Contact Urban. For 28mm in 406 Continental Contact speed. For the rear in 28mm in 559 look at Continental Grand Prix

PaulM

Guru
I had a steel Giro 20 with Alu fork and Recurve seat.. It came with 32mm Kenda Kwest tyres which I found too harsh. I settled for 40mm Marathon Racers in the end. I don't have the bike anymore but on other bikes I've been impressed with 32mm Paselas. They were a staple recommendation by Thorn for their Audax bikes in the 28mm version. There's a big difference in volume between 28mm tyres and 32mm tyres, something like 30%, which is why Conti are making some of their fast tyres in 32mm width, but sadly not for 559 wheels.

OP
OP
T

Thegreatthor

Über Member
Another 40 miles yesterday. I think I’m getting faster and more confident. Still want faster tyres though. I think I might like a high racer eventually so I can use road bike wheels and tyres.

most importantly though, so, so comfortable😀😀😀

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thegreatthor

Über Member
Another 20 miles. That’s 90 altogether.

It’s the smiles I think. I ride along grinning like a Cheshire Cat, even up hill! Not just that, it makes other people smile a lot too! Loads of ramblers today and just such a different reaction to what I used to get on di!

I’m starting to feel much more comfortable as well now. I even started in a straight (ish) line today on several occasions.

A full 1mph faster today on same route too. It’s the higher cadence that’s really helped.

I think I’ve made a mistake with my do’s in that whatever they’re designed for.I’ve made them all into audax type machines.

I shan’t do 5he same with bents! I’m just going to ride this for a thousand miles and enjoy it for what it is - a hatchback.

I want a Mercedes E class for audax eventually but I think rather than mess with this that can be n+1. There’s going to be some nice do’s for sale after Easter I think.

Awesome fun😀😀😀

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Another 20 miles. That’s 90 altogether.

It’s the smiles I think. I ride along grinning like a Cheshire Cat, even up hill! Not just that, it makes other people smile a lot too! Loads of ramblers today and just such a different reaction to what I used to get on di!

I’m starting to feel much more comfortable as well now. I even started in a straight (ish) line today on several occasions.

A full 1mph faster today on same route too. It’s the higher cadence that’s really helped.

I think I’ve made a mistake with my do’s in that whatever they’re designed for.I’ve made them all into audax type machines.

I shan’t do 5he same with bents! I’m just going to ride this for a thousand miles and enjoy it for what it is - a hatchback.

I want a Mercedes E class for audax eventually but I think rather than mess with this that can be n+1. There’s going to be some nice do’s for sale after Easter I think.

Awesome fun😀😀😀

The estate model so you can carry your audax luggage

Top Bottom