Malaga to Barcelona?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holmeslice89

Hey guys, so to get to the point I've never been cycle touring before! Been all over the world back packing and love to ride but yet to combine the two! I've been my other half for nearly a year and he's done lots of bike packing. We've recently been offered a fantastic opportunity to run our own hostel in the Lake District, will hopefully get plenty of Kms in and our contract ends mid Nov and would love to cycle around Spain, not started to plan anything yet but thought I would get the ball rolling and just research and get as much inspo in as possible! Would ideally like to start in malaga and finish in barca, mainly sticking to the coast but potentially going through Granada if possible. Like I said I am totally new to this so any tips are welcome. For instance any vids/ blogs/ camping spots would be great. Not sure what the weather would be like November/December. I don't want the boyfriend to be incharge of all the planning so any advice good or bad would be helpful. TIA!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycling in Spain is by far the best cycling in Europe. For roads and drivers. There's not much better.
Lucky you, it looks a fabulous journey.
Granada is a wonderful city. Beautiful place.

OP
OP
Holmeslice89

Holmeslice89

Cycling in Spain is by far the best cycling in Europe. For roads and drivers. There's not much better.
Lucky you, it looks a fabulous journey.
Granada is a wonderful city. Beautiful place.
Yeah I lived in the north for a while and noticed how wonderful the roads would be to ride!

Thanks for the reply, any reasons to avoid the med strip? Like I said any advice is appreciated

Generally, it's crowded, scruffy, expensive and the roads are big and busy, but you only need to go a few miles inland and it's great.
I've just noticed that you intend going in early winter, are you camping? Weather will be a bit iffy.

OP
OP
Holmeslice89

Holmeslice89

Generally, it's crowded, scruffy, expensive and the roads are big and busy, but you only need to go a few miles inland and it's great.
I've just noticed that you intend going in early winter, are you camping? Weather will be a bit iffy.
Great this is the kind of advice I need! O shall definitely take note of that. Yeah camping whenever possible, have super warm gear, recently trekked in Nepal and my super small sleeping bag managed to keep me warm in -15 so hopefully no ok, plus have friends living in Barca and Valencia so can hopefully crash with them. Thanks for the info, much appreciated

OP
OP
Holmeslice89

Holmeslice89

The road are great, we are over there in 10 days time, third time for us, can't get enough of Spain,
Super excited, went to majorca a few times last year and it was wonderful! Have a great trip!

Crankarm

Guru
Far south should still be mild, 15-19C although could be a bit chilly higher up. Also Nov/Dec many campsites might well be closed and wild camping is not permitted in Spain. You can do it but you have to be a lot more discreet than other countries. If you meet some one officious you could be fined. I wouldn't cycle tour in northern or central Spain in winter, too cold, possibly snow and most accommodation in rural areas will be closed. You might have better luck in larger towns or cities with accommodation but it will be a bit more expensive. There is always Air BnB.

MarkF

Guru
Agree with others, Spain is my favourite place to cycle and I've pretty much covered it all now, quiet roads, polite drivers, s.p.a.c.e, cheap food/rooms.:okay:

I've not done Malaga to Barcelona but I've ridden various tours taking in Malaga, Almeria, Alicante, Valencia and Barcelona, just not joined up the dots! Tbh there is reason for this, I just don't think it would be enjoyable, I've done enough coastal riding in these areas to be pretty much sure that a coastal trip is not what you might imagine it would be like. I'd do a different trip at that time of year, maybe an Andalucian tour (Malaga, Granada, Cordoba, Seville, Cadiz, Malaga?) and then get the train to BCN if you have to end there, or, tour to BCN via an inland route.

My worst day of cycling was south of Sitges into Barcelona on the coast, I am sure there were spectacular views but I didn't see them as I had it all on just to stay alive, being squeezed against the coastal concrete retaining wall for 90% of the ride by cars, coaches and the dreaded cement trucks. Up and down tough climbs with v.e.r.y few safe places to stop and rest, covered constantly in fumes, it was an endurance test.

Stay in rooms, they will be cheaper than a camping site (if you can find one) and it does get cold at night. I've paid as little as 10 euros, rooms above bars are good bets and there is always a room somewhere.

IBarrett

Über Member
Don’t underestimate just how hilly it is in the area North-East of Malaga. Ive cycled around the area a lot and it’s not for the faint hearted.
I did Malaga to our place in Ventorros de Balerma and it was 77 miles and 6,700ft of climbing, I’m plucking up the courage to do Valez Malaga to Loja via Zafarraya because the climb up to Zafarraya is one of those switch back monsters. Although I’ve done it the other way to the coast so know the route well.
I’ve also ridden along the coast road Malaga to Nerja and it was great away from the beach but really windy on the exposed bits which I found really hard going.
Having said all that, the ride from Loja to Granada is relatively flat and fabulous scenery, the roads are fairly quiet and the Spanish are extremely tolerant of cyclists - though they don’t like you riding 2 abreast and will let you know about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom