Mallet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

CycleTourer said:
If it is really hard with rocks underneath then it probably means there are rocks around on the surface so I use the nearest available.

asterix said:
If the ground is hard it's probably because it's stony so there must be stones to bash the pegs with.
:tongue:

andym

Über Member
I've got one like numbnuts. Weighs very little, and makes quick work of whacking in the pegs in hard ground.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
This must be my longest running thread ever. Think I'm going for the plastic jobbie after again abandoning the mallet as being too heavy for this weekends backpacking.

samid

Guru
I can't imagine carrying a mallet on a cycle tour. As if all the other junk that needs carrying didn't weigh more than enough already.

I did bend a few of the pegs that came with my Akto tent on my first trip (but none so bad as for it to become unusable). For my 2nd trip, I replaced the bent pegs with titanium ones, and also improved my technique I guess (meaning, just became more careful and aware that they may be bent), so during the 2nd trip didn't bend a single one. Unless the ground is unusually hard, I just push the pegs in with the palms of my gloved hand (i'm using old style leather mitts). Sometimes a foot or a stone come in handy. Never really had any problems.

Top Bottom