Mallorca

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Just a quick question to anyone who knows Mallorca or biking better than me , I know it is set up for biking over there on most roads. I was trying to get into the Mallorca 312 next year without success so I am wondering if I was to do it on a different day with the roads open to traffic if it was safe to do so or if there is parts that are off limits on a normal traffic day
Thanks in advance for your answers

Bristolian

A couple of the GCN guys did a video of it recently. You can see it here:

View: https://youtu.be/wMFthWMOBEo

The roads were open on the day and they didn't report any issues ... except not carrying any spares ^_^

PabloH

Regular
Did that back in 2015 with a couple of mates after riding the 312 in 2013, the roads were fine (take the bike path to navigate Palma).
The difficult part outside of the event was knowing where we could buy supplies (especially in the southern part of the island), petrol stations will likely be your option for this.
Oh and don't forget lights...we did 🤭

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
thank you for replies - looks like I better get to training then! good call on lights , never even thought about them !
will watch the video later , a friend sent me that video as well when I mentioned the plan and I wondered why - I guess it will all come apparent when I start listening to help :shy: thank you again

You could try CycleTravel.
You can import the route or apply it as a trace layer and create the route manually. Streetview is available on any point so you can check road conditions. And it'll give you good elevation data.

Videos can be useful, but sometimes they'll have support vehicles behind them that can give an unnatural impression of traffic.

Don't know Mallorca, but Spain in generally is very bike friendly, backed up by some pretty strict laws (and enforcement) for drivers.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
You could try CycleTravel.
You can import the route or apply it as a trace layer and create the route manually. Streetview is available on any point so you can check road conditions. And it'll give you good elevation data.

Videos can be useful, but sometimes they'll have support vehicles behind them that can give an unnatural impression of traffic.

Don't know Mallorca, but Spain in generally is very bike friendly, backed up by some pretty strict laws (and enforcement) for drivers.

Best of luck!

I went there last year just for a couple of short rides having never been there before riding a bike , I was stunned as to how bike friendly the places I went were ! unbelievable how tolerant drivers were to some pretty poor cyclists and the whole structure seemed to lean towards helping the two wheeled . ive been Spain and France where it is so much better than old Blighty but Mallorca definitely upped it a notch as far as I saw

Simon_m

Guru
I go out to Mallorca each spring and cycle. I go with a organised group, but sometimes i dont do their rides and just go out on my own as I know the routes / have them in my garmin now. It is very safe for cycling, not had any problems or close near misses like you seem to get on a daily commute. Go for it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just a quick question to anyone who knows Mallorca or biking better than me , I know it is set up for biking over there on most roads. I was trying to get into the Mallorca 312 next year without success so I am wondering if I was to do it on a different day with the roads open to traffic if it was safe to do so or if there is parts that are off limits on a normal traffic day
Thanks in advance for your answers

https://www.cyclinglocations.com/mallorca-312-route/

all on nice cycling roads. if you do it anti-clockwise from Pollenca then you have the option to bail out onto the 225 route it it getting late / all a bit much for you - there is a hell of a lot of climbing in the first part. or.... if your legs have gone from that first bit you can also swing off at Esporles and do the 167 route as the 100 km or so loop down to Andratx is also very hilly. No silly gradients, generally <7 % climbs but a lot of them. Its a lot to tackle solo and finding your own refreshment stops.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
https://www.cyclinglocations.com/mallorca-312-route/

all on nice cycling roads. if you do it anti-clockwise from Pollenca then you have the option to bail out onto the 225 route it it getting late / all a bit much for you - there is a hell of a lot of climbing in the first part. or.... if your legs have gone from that first bit you can also swing off at Esporles and do the 167 route as the 100 km or so loop down to Andratx is also very hilly. No silly gradients, generally <7 % climbs but a lot of them. Its a lot to tackle solo and finding your own refreshment stops.

ive done similar routes and rough idea how body reacts , so not going into it completely blind , just didnt want to do all the hilly stuff then get spat out on a motorway somewhere but thanks for advise and a bit nearer the time I will study the route in more detail . good advise about what direction to tackle from . shop/garage stops I will also plan so not carrying too much , guess always got to be cautious of closing times !

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've ridden quite a lot of the roads, not necessarily in the same direction and certainly not all on one day. I think the longest day we've done was 170km starting & finishing Paguera that took in the old road over the Soller Tunnel (nice lunch at the top of that) and the Puig Major climb from Soller side, plus several coffee and snack stops on route and a well earned few beers and dinner when we got home. That was a very pleasant day out, I wouldnt like to think I was doing getting on the double the distance in a day. The scenery is stunning though, the coast route down from Banyalbufar toward Andratz is gorgeous and easy to incorporate into a 50 odd mile loop from my mates place.

Top Bottom