MAMIOW: Middle Aged Man in Old Wool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Inspired by a post from @booze and cake and for everyone who loves the smell of lanolin in the morning,

Jerseys, shorts, longs, hats, or whatever, if its old and woolen (or even acrylic, we are open minded) we want to see it.

To start things off

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No good unless we them being modelled :tongue:.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
^_^ @BalkanExpress oooh those are nice, do you have the Raleigh bike to match?....I know you've got a Merckx for the Molteni, I don't recognise the last jersey, my weak googling just says its a region in France, any more info on that?

I'll post some tomorrow once I've taken some photos in daylight. @Cycleops I can't promise they'll be modelled, people may be eating:laugh:

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
^_^ @BalkanExpress oooh those are nice, do you have the Raleigh bike to match?....I know you've got a Merckx for the Molteni, I don't recognise the last jersey, my weak googling just says its a region in France, any more info on that?

I'll post some tomorrow once I've taken some photos in daylight. @Cycleops I can't promise they'll be modelled, people may be eating:laugh:

Thank you very much.

Yes, I have a 79/80 Raleigh which needs a bit of work. The Molteni jersey was bought in a vintage shop in Barcelona, but has a Ronde van Vlaanderen tag in it, so I assume it is from the shop of the visitor centre. The last one is the jersey of the picnic on wheels that is La Savoureuse, a ride which takes place in Ciney, Belgium every August. I have a write-up somewhere.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@BalkanExpress the picnic on wheels sounds good^_^. I did a search on Cyclechat for 'La Savoureuse' but the above mention is the only one I can see. I'd love a read of that on a cold winter evening if you've got a link to a write up ^_^

How about a MAMISS? - Middle Aged Man in Skinsuit *inhale*^_^
adqsPxB.jpg

I shouldn't have done that with the Xmas timber still on board, its going to take me 20 mins to get out if that now, I may need to call for assistance^_^. That is me on my Denti in a Denti skinsuit. I built that bike up in 2009 and joined ebay soon after seeing this jersey on the
right. eBay is deadly,I've since bought 4 frames and all the components for them on there, and regularly check in for any nice jerseys.
HXje2F3.jpg

The Bottecchia jersey is acrylic, an eBay purchase from Switzerland. It has artwork by Italian painter and collagist Mario Schifani, who was commissioned to do a series of jerseys for the 1989 Tour De France, which Greg Lemond won riding a Bottecchia. I bought it to match my 1989 Bottecchia^_^. These are all also from eBay bought over the last 10 years.
a1u2fHh.jpg

7uWnu6R.jpg

F164Osb.jpg

kdjKbJ5.jpg

The green one has been savaged on the back by moths, as has the front of this, and I only bought this last year:cursing:
Iyj1HfT.jpg

The one on the right I think is from a Belgium cycle club made up of staff from a nuclear power station. The Vittoria one also has a Bianchi emblem embroidered on the front. I don't own a Bianchi, I guess I'll have to buy one at some point in the future^_^
01AASl6.jpg

And as the MAMIV - Middle Aged Man in Viscose thread is probably a bit too niche, I'll post my 1970;s 100% viscose West German Track Cycling Top. This does not hide any post Chrimbo timber in the slightest, so is for skinny summer days only:blush:
6pFAtsh.jpg

So having had moth problems, I've just bought some of these to try to cry and keep the critters at bay.
WWfrxcf.jpg

I find over the winter I don't wear the short sleeve tops, and last summer was mostly too hot, so I didn't wear them much then either, but for autumn and spring they're great. So I tend to go months without checking them, which is when the moths do their worst. I've heard moths also don't like cedar wood and oil, any other wool jersey preserving tips out there for those too forgetful to regularly check them? My Mum's friend keeps her woollens in the freezer, but there's no room in mine for wool jerseys^_^.

andystorey

Whilst not as popular as the TI Raleigh, Molteni & Peugeot, my own personal fav of all the wool jerseys I own is this one.
Cilo Aufina were not a big team, I just like the combination of the typeface used and the red, white and grey colours.

Attachments

• cilo.jpg
    cilo.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
BalkanExpress
:welcome: @andystorey , that is a classy jersey

Old Acrylic rather than old wool, but I am sure you recognise these

A real chamois insert and they have done Retro Ronde, Anjou Velo Vintage and Gaiole :okay:

Top Bottom