Man Down, Me

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Without assistance from anyone else,

Out this morning trying to nab a couple of Veloviewer tiles so wasn't sure exactly where I was going, I dropped down into this ravine which when I'd looked on the map last night got me back to where I wanted to be, it's actually a footpath, but there was horse hoof & tyre tracks so I figured I'd be okay. It climbed slightly & then under a railway track, at this point the track split left & up which I didn't think I wanted of down a steep bank to the right with a left at the bottom which is the way I was heading. The bank was steep, so steep steps had been cut into the bank side, hindsight is wonderful & I should have got off & walked down, but I didn't. I was cadence braking all the way down both front & back but they were still locking & slipping. About 10ft from the bottom the rain gulley I was in was blocked by a big stone, I figured if I hit that I'd be over the bars, so managed to stop just before it.

I always mount/dismount from the left, another in hindsight moment, the steps were on the right, not sure exactly what happened next other than I felt my foot slip, next I know I was going downhill, I managed to extricate myself from the bike which I was half off, but going backwards when both legs went from under me, I crashed to the ground on my bum. The pain was intense, tears in my eyes all I could do was lay there taking deep breaths, I had ended up about 25ft from where I started. I tried to roll onto my hands & knees to stand but couldn't as the pain was still too great, a that point I did consider 999, but not knowing exactly where I was & I didn't think I had any broken bones it felt a waste of their time. I lay there for a few more minutes & then rolled over & gingerly stood up, I decided I would try to ride home probably 5 miles or so, I managed to mount up & luckily the path was downhill, so I slowly made my way to the end, but it was apparent very quickly there was no way I could ride home.

At the end of the track is a side road with a 1 in 5 slope up to the main road, so very slowly I walked up to the junction, I think shock may have been setting in at this point as I was sweating profusely & feeling sick, I'm certain I didn't bang my head so I was not worried about concussion. I called my wife, bless her she got out of bed & came to fetched me. We somehow managed to get the bike in the back of her car by taking the wheel out, then she drove home, she did her best to miss the potholes but it was still painful.

Currently I can either lay on my back or side, or after a painful process I can stand & walk around very slowly, but I cannot sit, if I try to sit my lower spine starts to get painful & spasms, fairly sure it's all just bruising & spine compression, but if there is no improvement I may consider going to the hospital to see if they will x-ray. Although I would rather not as they have enough on their plates & don't need people with self inflicted injuries.

The biggest let down is I only got 1 of the squares & missed the other^_^

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ouch!! GWS... Bless Mrs Phaeton for her help....
Is the bike OK?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Wow Phaeton- take care of yourself- you'll soon know after a few days R+R whether you need medical help- I find Co-codomol keeps the pain at bay when it gets too bad and helps you relax to stop the muscle spasms.

Lastly, is the bike OK? [Pete beat me to it!]

Slick

Guru
Sounds like a real eye waterer, sorry to hear of your troubles but glad you managed to get home ok. Sounds like you may need a check up at least for some pain relief if nothing else. Hopefully it eases for you soon.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

If you banged your coccyx it's going to hurt like hell for a while.
I don't think it's the coccyx, it's slightly higher, just above each pelvis bone, just looked at a skeleton diagram & it looks more like 4th & 5th vertebrae, the pain has eased now & currently I can sit, I had co-codamol around 10 & the some ibuferon about 2:30, going to try not to take anymore co-codamol until just before bed, I just don't bounce like I used to

classic33

Leg End Member
Forget about the A&E workload due to current conditions. I think they'd rather see you earlier than later.

If it doesn't ease, get yourself to the nearest.

Top Bottom