Managing chain length when swapping cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I was wondering how others do it; what's the most popular method. Let's say you want to swap from an 11-25 cassette to a 11-32. In theory, this would require adding two links to achieve 'optimal' chain length. Options that I can think of:

1. 'I have several chains of different lengths and I swap them when changing cassettes'.

2. 'I have just one chain that is a middle ground between the two extremes'.

3. 'I have just one chain, appropriate for the smaller cassette. When swapping to a larger cassette, I extend the chain by adding extra links and an additional quick link'.

4. 'I'm not bothered by any kind of optimal length and just swap cassettes without any consideration'.

Which one are you and why?
5. I never change cassette except to replace like-for-like when worn out.

TBH, I think if you are the type of rider who changes cassette regularly according to the terrain they are going to be riding, option 1 would be the only likely one.

If it is a one-off change to a different size, then I would think option 3 would be the most likely. Option 4 probably wouldn't work in that case because the chain would be too short to be able to change to the largest sprockets.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Yeah, looks like the prevailing opinion, as I expected, is to swap the chain when doing the cassette. Makes absolute sense.

As for why: I built a bike from parts and that included buying one complete bike in a really poor condition - some parts were a write off but some were actually OK and I ended up using a lot. However, as a result, I've ended up with two cassettes and two chains and wondered if I sell them off or keep and swap from time to time.

Incidentally, I don't suppose anyone knows the difference between a KMC X11EL and KMC XXSP X11 chains?

Good afternoon,

Pretty much by accident rather then intent I often swap between a pair of wheels with an 11-32 8 speed cassette and 28mm Randonneur tyres and an 11-25 cassette with 23mm Ultrasports.

The 11-32/Randonneur is quite a bit of a slower and relaxing ride, its not just the tyres but also the 15/18/21 sprockets rather than 15/17/19/21.

I swap the wheels based on do I want a fast or relaxed ride that day.

As I avoid the worst of cross chaining I have never seen a need to worry about changing the chain and I also don't worry about the same chain interacting with the different cassettes differently because of wear. It just doesn't seem to be an issue.

The chain was set up for the the 11-32 cassette.

Bye

Ian

Regular changes in cassette is for TT bikes and depends on the course terrain and for racing reasons. You miss anything. New bikes now come in at 30 as it immediately gives you the option of higher hills and you still have your 25, just that its spread wider.

Top Bottom