Manchester 100mile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peteoc

Is anyone signed up for the Manchester 100mile ride?

It's part of a charity event we're doing with work and I need some decent training for 100 miles, anyone got any advice?

I'm thinking of carrying on doing the 20 mile round trip on my commute and then get in some 40 milers at the weekend and possibly get a 100mile in at the start of August to see how I get on.

Jmetz

Indeed i am, not paid up yet but i will be there, im intending on a very similar training program, should be fiiiiiine.

DaleB

Yep, i intend on doing it with Jmetz... Similar training (but only a 16mile round commute) :biggrin:

It's in September isn't it, lets hope for some good weather :eek:

Camgreen

Also yet to sign up. Did the 100k last year so along with my better half, plan to go one better this time round.

Currently tootling around the Cambridgeshire lanes at the weekend, doing about 40 - 45 miles. Plan to bump it up to about 60 this Saturday, partly because we know we can cover the jump in distance without much problem and also because we've a fortnight holiday intervening our training between now and August.

Did the Oxford - Cambridge last year, which we clocked at a conservative 92, figure we can pedal that extra eight and complete our first century ride.

Camgreen

All signed up now for the 100 miler now; optimistically in the 8 hour time band. Best get pedalling a few extra miles methinks:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I will be this year - did it in 2008 in 5:15 for 100 miles, so will be going for it this year having taken the first 50 steady last time (injury issues in 2009).

If weather isn't brill, I'll be riding fixed.

PS feeds are rubbish, and nothing included, so do take your own energy drinks (and refill powder) and food/cash.

Camgreen

An ex-pat of the region now, but the ride takes me through bits of Cheshire where I was brought up. Enjoyed the 100k last year, so time for a step up. Not worried about feed stations especially, as hopefully we'll have a few family members to hand out anything me and my other half can't manage to carry.

navrat_biker

you should be fine doing what your doing, just keep the legs spinning and the miles up on a weekly basis. may just see you all there.

PaulB

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
PS feeds are rubbish, and nothing included, so do take your own energy drinks (and refill powder) and food/cash.

Aye, and just do the route as well without paying since you only have the pleasure of giving this rip-off company money for absolutely nowt. So that's what you should give them. Nowt.

Svendo

Guru
Done it twice. Me old Mum has ridden out from Chester and met me at Huxley with a private cake stop. She usually has a mountain of different cakes and fruit and gels, in case I don't want the first one and because she worries about me cycling all that way! Bless her.
Can't remember what was at the feed stops, and if it was free or paid for (probably paid) but the lunch stop half wayish was a cafeteria, paid for. The prices were cheap though, so it's possible it might have some subsidy from the entry fee.
You do get a T-shirt and a cycling related gift at the finish with an energy drink and a certificate.
The signage and marshalling is top notch though.
So pay your money and take your choice. It's not timed so if you're confident enough (and could navigate without the marshalls) I don't see anything morally wrong with donating £25 directly to charity and riding along.

All in all, other similarly priced spotives have timing, free food and water and sometimes energy drink at feedstops as well as the signs and marshalls AND may donate some of the fee to charity (e.g. Brian Robinson Challenge, Cheshire Cat (dunno if there's a donation from the verenti ones)).

PaulB

Legendary Member
Svendo said:
It's not timed so if you're confident enough (and could navigate without the marshalls) I don't see anything morally wrong with donating £25 directly to charity and riding along.

Agreed. They sug you into thinking they're backing a charity; they're not. Ride the route and donate a sum of money to the charity instead of boosting their coffers. Svendo's got this spot on.

Paul_L

Über Member
I'm thinking of doing the 100k.

I've been out of action since January with slipped disc problems but am back in the saddle commuting to work. Think the 100m would be too much too soon in my recovery but the 100k could be a nice end of season target.

Would i be right in thinking it's pretty flat and does anyone have a link to a route or profile as the map on the Bike Events site is pretty poor.

Top Bottom