Manchester Beelines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clf

I can't really work out what they're doing, lots of mention of extra crossings but not much else, hopefully it doesn't end up like the shambles around the Stretford Arndale.

My concerns with segregated cycle lanes is they are never maintained, they just end up full of crap from the road and become useless particularly if there's not enough traffic to naturally clear them of glass, nut and bolts, bumper parts, wing mirrors and empty laughing gas cartridges that always clog them up.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My concerns with segregated cycle lanes is they are never maintained, they just end up full of crap from the road and become useless particularly if there's not enough traffic to naturally clear them of glass, nut and bolts, bumper parts, wing mirrors and empty laughing gas cartridges that always clog them up.
That's a relatively easy problem. You can tell that because this is one thing that West Norfolk does right: the minisweepers fit along most of the cycleways and often sweep them while travelling between other places where they're wanted, rather than being a rolling road block on the carriageway (which has bigger lorry-sized sweepers to clean it). However, the borough is currently short of maintenance workers, so things seem to be slipping a bit.

So tell Manchester to get some mini-sweepers! They can do double-duty cleaning pedestrianised zones.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I think they have some, at least the cycle lane in rusholme is regularly cleaned by one, I think it goes down there every day. The place is so filthy that you really notice when it hasn't been there.

Lonestar

Veteran
I think they have some, at least the cycle lane in rusholme is regularly cleaned by one, I think it goes down there every day. The place is so filthy that you really notice when it hasn't been there.

Same with the CS 2 early in the morning near Stepney Green full of rubbish,glass and it's filthy.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I can't really work out what they're doing, lots of mention of extra crossings but not much else, hopefully it doesn't end up like the shambles around the Stretford Arndale.

That was just what I thought when I first saw this and having gone back to it am still not much the wiser. Some of the crossing points on the Cadishead Way which runs parallel to the ship canal puzzle me.

Two other points which immediately spring to mind:
1. How well this planned infrastructure will be maintained if it is built?
2. Will the mayor get a firm grip of Salford Council and what they are/are not doing to cycle lanes? Goodness knows how much has been spent building a bizarre raised cycle lane of perhaps 10 metres, at the corner of Oldfield Road and The Crescent, yet Liverpool Street which joins Oldfield Road parallel to The Crescent has an appalling cycling lane road surface. Also they will not reinstate cycles lanes in Irlam following resurfacing.

Reactions: clf

hoppym27

That was just what I thought when I first saw this and having gone back to it am still not much the wiser. Some of the crossing points on the Cadishead Way which runs parallel to the ship canal puzzle me.

Two other points which immediately spring to mind:
1. How well this planned infrastructure will be maintained if it is built?
2. Will the mayor get a firm grip of Salford Council and what they are/are not doing to cycle lanes? Goodness knows how much has been spent building a bizarre raised cycle lane of perhaps 10 metres, at the corner of Oldfield Road and The Crescent, yet Liverpool Street which joins Oldfield Road parallel to The Crescent has an appalling cycling lane road surface. Also they will not reinstate cycles lanes in Irlam following resurfacing.

But Salford council have spent a lot of time, effort and resource getting the surface in front of the civic centre into a perfect state, its only a couple of hundred metres long....a cynic might say its because the mayor uses it and dignitries visit the council on that bit....the rest of the roads are a shambles...hmmmm

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
But Salford council have spent a lot of time, effort and resource getting the surface in front of the civic centre into a perfect state, its only a couple of hundred metres long....a cynic might say its because the mayor uses it and dignitries visit the council on that bit....the rest of the roads are a shambles...hmmmm

Ahh, that could be it. Either the Oldfield Road cycle path is surplus material, or the mayor is just getting into cycling. :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I missed this but it seems that it's "the Bee Network" from now on, due to a trademark conflict with an earlier range of navigation products crowdfunded by (among many others) Chris Boardman. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ter-beelines-cycle-bee-network-chris-boardman

Globalti

Legendary Member

Was this the same Salford Council, which spent hundreds of thousands putting in fancy paving and LED lights right in front of the cathedral just in time for Brenda's visit in 2012?

Top Bottom