Manchester canal commute during winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
another Bridgewater commuter here through trafford. wouldn't do it if it was icy. you will get nore anti social behaviour on the journey home....especially school holidays.

Quite a few mopeds going down there these days.....i had one going past me on a narrow section yesterday and I was on the canal side of the path. had some fear that they would push me in. it was a really narrow section so I was quite close to the water anyway. Maybe my paranoia but anyway they just said cheers mate and nothing happened.

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
I cycle on the Leeds and Liverpool in my commute to Burnley -

Never had a problem - the only thing that grinds my gears is the zombies with headphones in, who walk slow and take up the towpath and can't hear you politely shouting "scuse me!"

calamityjenny

Hi, out of interest, did you use the canal? I've just started commuting from Glossop, so debating using the canal to get off the road for a chunk of it but a bit worried about having a road bike (although I believe it's been resurfaced), and dodgy people.

artworker71

Hi calamityjenny. Just picked up this thread, I've been using the Ashton canal cycleway to commute to Manchester since stopping using the train at start of lockdown. Have had very little contact with dodgy/undesirables, it's generally quiet in the morning 7.30-8.30am but not deserted (a few dog walkers and runners) and a bit busier in the evening 5-6pm. I've really been enjoying it as don't fancy taking my chances on the road and it's a much nicer environment. I get on at the bottom of Mottram Road in stalybridge, come off by Bayley street tip and use the back roads to Asda then on canal again and it's hard surfaced towpath all the way to Piccadilly. I'm just trying to formulate an action plan for the winter - not sure how doable it's going to be in the dark but certainly don't fancy roads then either. I'm on MTB but have seen road/gravel bikes. It's hard surfaced all the way, just negotiating some of the cobbly bits on locks and bridges may be a bit bumpy on a road bike.

Top Bottom