Manchester Chester advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having done / raised $$$'s already, a few of us are hoping to climb on the Manchester Chester and back ride this Sunday (without paying).
Does anyone have the gpx file or list of the route?
If this post is inappropriate please forgive and mods delete.

MattE72

Freeloading on a bike ride raising money for a cancer charity for kids. Nice.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Freeloading on a bike ride raising money for a cancer charity for kids. Nice.
As has already been discussed on this forum many times the entry fee for this event does not go to charity, but to a private company. So if the op were to jump on board and make a donation to charity that would be "nice"
I know a lot off the forum did the Manchester 100 on a similar basis and 100% of their money went to charity. Nice

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hacienda, I have similar concerns about the Cyclone... £25 each and not sure if any of the entry fee goes to the charities, but then the whole week-end's semi-pro sponsored cycle events are more than the single charity ride so who knows how the funding is managed. I doubt the organisers makes much out of it, if anything, for themselves.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Bike Events net worth in 2012 was c £424,000 with an excellent credit rating, up from £383,000 in 2011. Not a huge amount but not insubstantial either after directors runumeration and dividends.

I did ride a sportive a few years ago set up by a local bike shop (The Macc Monster) for Kidscan the cancer charity that has sponsored the Manchester to Chester ride. The organisers made no profit from the ride and after the costs of the feed stations (you don't get these for free on the bike events rides) and signage all money went to the charity. I know not everybody has the time or inclination to help charities like this but I am getting cycnical as I get older where companies are making good money off the back of charities. A start and a finish point and a few marshalls for the day 3000 riders @ £18 = £54,000 :dry: The Manchester 100 tends to have more riders as does the Manchester to Blackpool.

To be honest I don't mind the fact they are making money to a sensible level, they are getting people motivated to take up a challenge and cycle more. I did the Manchester to Blackpool a few years ago and raised some money for Christies. I also don't mind if someone follows the route on the same day. It is open roads so there is nothing stopping you. Half of the CC manchester contingent did the Manchester 100 on this basis a couple of years ago.

The organisers should not be mistaken for the charity that sponsors the ride though.

Top Bottom