Manchester to Blackpool bike ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summer rose

Hi to all I am new rider :biggrin:

I am doing the Manchester Blackpool bike ride and have been going out twice a week. On Saturday I went to Warwick and came back via Kenilworth after getting lost a couple of times I think I must have done 50 miles. The hills were a killer and being 47 and not having been on a bike since junior school think I am doing well.
My question about the bike event is are there any hills in this event.

Thanks Wendy :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Wendy.

Welcome to CC. I've got to rush because I'm catching a train soon. Funnily enough, to take my bike down to Coventry to ride an event in that area at the weekend. You might be interested in one of them - CTC rides.

I found the Manchester-Blackpool ride on Bikely and have plotted a profile for you. Here it is:

man_black_profile.jpg

As you can see, it is 75% pretty flat with a lumpy bit 1/3 of the way.

I did the event a few years ago and quite enjoyed it but watch out for the traffic and careless riders in the first half.

Tangospud

Out of interest is the graph from last year's ride or the year before? Last year was the first that I can remember that didn't involve the long drag up past Haigh Hall. Instead last year the route followed the "A" road through Wigan, Euxton into Preston and didn't involve any noticable hills.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tangospud said:
Out of interest is the graph from last year's ride or the year before? Last year was the first that I can remember that didn't involve the long drag up past Haigh Hall. Instead last year the route followed the "A" road through Wigan, Euxton into Preston and didn't involve any noticable hills.
Ah... I did the event a few years ago when we did go past Haigh Hall. The profile is off a copy of the route that I found on Bikely so it could well be the old route. I didn't know that it had changed.

sammollyrosypads

Hi there i do the ride every year and there is always a couple of hills and will be bit hard going but the lovely thing about this ride is the sheer number of people pushing you along the way clapping and cheering also the sheer number of cyclists......not to mention the last mile on the prom.last year was the best ever.....enjoy

bauldbairn

Hello summer rose and Welcome to the CC forums. :smile:

There are a few CCers doing the Manchester/Blackpool run - maybe you should try contacting each other for company/motivation? :laugh:

Top Bottom