Mandatory cycle lanes in parks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommi

This morning I stopped to have a chat with three motorcycle police parked on mandatory cycle on South Carriage Drive in Hyde Park. I asked them if they were going to do anything about all the cars (counted 18 in a row before stopping for the chat) parked on the mandatory cycle lane outside the barracks. The answer I got was that no, the rules are different in parks. In hindsight I realise my mistake for not asking what exactly are the rules then, maybe someone here can enlighten me?

As they told to me, mandatory cycle lanes in parks are unenforceable, so police won't do anything about cars driving on cycle lanes.

They also told me the difference between single yellows and double yellows is that if they are enforced then double yellows are in operation at all times, but you'd need to look for a sign (like the "at any time" he pointed out on the side they were parked.) But the reason double yellows in parks are not enforceable is because the sign might say otherwise. Well, it did say "at any time" on the side with the cars as well, but given the rules are different in parks then I guess "no parking at any time" actually means "free parking at all times" instead?

I'm pretty sure the parking enforcement is total bull given the unambiguous signage and no one just can be buggered.

But what about the mandatory cycle lanes? Do different laws apply to mandatory cycle lanes in parks than elsewhere? Or is it, as I suspect, another semi-plausible sounding excuse they're playing to justify their lack of action?

(Though I'd sort of rather like to think they're afraid to annoy the cavalry because they have guns...)

pshore

(disclaimer: its not my field of expertise)

I could be something to do with the TROs (Traffic Regulation Order) that are in place for the area.

The way I understand it, your local council write the TRO which is the law. But, the signs on the ground have to agree with the TRO or it is unenforceable. You won't know unless you can see and decipher the TROs.

This must be common enough because I hear there is a company that delivery drivers use that automates the parking ticket appeal process.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Tommi - Royal Parks - different item to the rest of the parks. And I reckon that you would get a sensible answer from here - they are, whether you believe it or not, mad keen on cycling

All written correspondence can be sent to:
The Old Police House
Hyde Park
London
W2 2UH

General enquiries
T. +44 (0)300 061 2000
F. +44 (0)20 7298 2005
hq@royalparks.gsi.gov.uk

tiny_blank.gif
Chief Executive
Mark Camley