Mandy dies at 70

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
The death has been announced of Mandy Rice-Davies who played a role in the Profumo Affair back in the '60s.
What do you remember of the Profumo Affair?
I remember the crowds assembling before 10pm at Menzies bookshop in the Waverley Station in Edinburgh eagerly awaiting the arrival of the latest edition of the Daily Mail in order to read the latest titillating revelations from the court case. Everyone was clutching a 3d piece, and woe betide anyone who bought the paper with money of a higher denomination, they got their change in threepenny bits! Another novelty for us Highlanders in the city was to be able to buy a newspaper which bore the date of the following day:smile:

Last edited:

Cheddar George

oober member
Before my time ........ but i would say that wouldn't i ?

Fubar

Guru
The death has been announced of Mandy Rice-Davies who played a role in the Profumo Affair back in the '60s.
What do you remember of the Profumo Affair?
I remember the crowds assembling before 10pm at Menzies bookshop in the Waverley Station in Edinburgh eagerly awaiting the arrival of the latest edition of the Daily Mail in order to read the latest titillating revelations from the court case. Everyone was clutching a 3d piece, and woe betide anyone who bought the paper with money of a higher denomination, they got their change in threepenny bits! Another novelty for us Highlanders in the city was to be able to buy a newspaper which bore the date of the next day:smile:

Before my time but I do remember Menzies in Waverley - funny to think of crowds of people queueing for a newspaper!

Levo-Lon

Guru
England won the world cup when I was one...I doubt I'll live to see it happen again..

shame for the family being this time of year but thats life..

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I dont' remember it I was very young, but I have stayed in Spring Cottage and slept in the room where the affair is said to have taken place.

"In 1957 the cottage came to the attention of London osteopath Stephen Ward who had been hired to treat Bill Astor. He leased the cottage from the Astors for a minimal rent for use as a weekend retreat.[58] Among the guests invited to stay there were London call girls Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies.[58] A chance meeting in 1961 between Keeler and cabinet minister John Profumo (a guest of the Astors) at the Cliveden swimming pool led to what was subsequently called the Profumo Affair which in turn led to the fall of the Macmillan government.[59]

Spring cottage was awarded Grade II listed status in 1986[57] and in 1997 the hotel company which leased Cliveden House from the National Trust also acquired the lease to the cottage.[55] A reported £750,000[55] was spent restoring and refurbishing the dilapidated building before it reopened in 1998 as a self-contained luxury hideaway with the same standards as the nearby five-star hotel itself.[55]The cottage and its garden are not open to the public."

ayceejay

Guru
Too young to remember the Profumo affair but I did go and see the film (although I can't remember it well) My Mother was huffy about Mandy Rice-Davies for years.
I think Mandy RD was the smarter of the two Saluki and she turned her infamy into money unlike Keeler who hid herself away until later in life. The general feeling was that Keeler was a victim and Mandy RD was a money grabbing tart.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
“My life has been one long descent into respectability".
I'm a big fan.

I was just a little kid at the time but I listened to the radio news and read the paper avidly. I got a huge thrill from the naughtiness, even though I didn't really know what was going on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom