Maniac Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rabbitthekitten

On my way to work I go down this long hill and get upto speeds of around 50 km/h, today was no exception. As I was going down the said hill, I saw a car waiting to pull out of one of the side roads. Was about fifty metres ahead, made eye contact, assumed he wouldn't pull out, then when I was about ten metres away he just pulls out in front of me. I sat up, put both breaks on hard, put both feet on the ground and tried to twist out of they way. I missed him by inches. Didn't appologise, didn't see if I was ok, didn't stop even, just carried on like nothing had happened. If anything was coming the other way, I'd be dead now (it was 5:30am), if I hadn't managed to get out of the way I'd probably be in a very bad way. I'm just glad it wasn't raining.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Rabbitthekitten said:
I'm just glad it wasn't raining.
I've had so many occasions when I've thought just that!

Probably wouldn't of helped but I was told by somebody on the old C+ forum that pseudo pedalling (rotating the cranks but not actually pedalling) downhill reduces some of these pull outs and I think they were right.

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

HLaB said:
Probably wouldn't of helped but I was told by somebody on the old C+ forum that pseudo pedalling (rotating the cranks but not actually pedalling) downhill reduces some of these pull outs and I think they were right.

I was pedalling, proper pedaling mind, I was really going some, he could see how fast I was going. He must have been looking at me for a good ten seconds. Then I got to work and that was rubbish as well. :smile:

StuartG

slower but further
Very dangerous to ride metrically when there are imperial motors about. Thankfully you appear to have been saved by a last minute switch to inches - unlike: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/462264.stm

Seriously I hope you have got over the scare ready for the battle home. Don't let it play on your mind when there are other motors to anticipate.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just over 30 mph in English. If this happens, I usually check the oncoming traffic, and sail past the outside of the car (on the wrong side of the road, or in the space between two lanes...., usually whilst shouting 'look where you are going'. And then they wonder 'why the hell is a pedal bike flying past'.....doh........

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Yea its amazing how many motorists think a bicycle can't go faster than 5mph. My cruising speeds on flats are anywhere from 15-25mph. If I want to I can do the speed limit (Flats, descents), unless its 40mph limit on a flat or climb, or if its a high head wind.

There has been many occasions were I have had to move out into the overtaking lane hehe

Sailorchick

My one collision with a car in 1 1/2 yrs was exactly as you described, only I didn't manage to stop in time and went straight into the back of the BMW. Took me ages to get my confidence back up on that particular hill.

- Baz -

Can't believe this! Exactly the same thing happened to me this morning, though I wasn't going as fast as you :biggrin: Had to slam the anchors on and skidded to a halt. God only knows how there was no collision. D*ckhead driver is out of sight in five seconds...

Another lesson learned. Glad to hear you're OK anyway.

Agree with you about the work part, too :sad:.

Baz

Top Bottom