Manitou Magnum Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazzyt66

Regular
Hi,

I’ve got a birthday coming up and I’m thinking of replacing the forks on my Marin Pallisades trail.

I’ve only recently got into trail riding and I got the Marin SH but it is a great bike to ride and I’d like to upgrade it over time as I get more daring with it lol.

So, with a budget of around £150 absolute max should I go with Rockshox (I’ve seen 30 Silver on sale for £104) or something from the Suntour range?

I don’t plan to do any massive drops or stuff as I’ll be 53 by then, but would like something that I know will be substantial - as I’m guessing anything new is going to be better than the magnum?

I’m not particularly heavy (12st Max) so advice gratefully received - even if it’s stick with the magnum

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I have the Magnums on my Marin, unless you are spending lots on some air forks then I wouldn’t bother changing, I really don’t think a set of budget sprung Suntour or Rockshox will perform any differently.

OP
OP
Dazzyt66

Dazzyt66

Regular
I have the Magnums on my Marin, unless you are spending lots on some air forks then I wouldn’t bother changing, I really don’t think a set of budget sprung Suntour or Rockshox will perform any differently.

That’s sort of what I expected but have no experience of the other types so the advice gratefully received!

Jody

Stubborn git
Straight or tapered steerer, wheel size and what travel do you currently have? These may be the limiting factors.

Jody

Stubborn git
So long as the Magnums are working fine, then the only real upgrade is 'air' forks of the same travel, but cost significantly more.

Completely agree but there are some surprisingly good air forks for very little money. I swapped my Fox for some Manitou Marvel and would say they perform a lot better. More supple and greater adjustability. You can pick these up within the OP's budget

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Completely agree but there are some surprisingly good air forks for very little money. I swapped my Fox for some Manitou Marvel and would say they perform a lot better. More supple and greater adjustability. You can pick these up within the OP's budget

Seem to have a good range in those. Main issue will, as you have said, is the steerer.

OP
OP
Dazzyt66

Dazzyt66

Regular
Straight or tapered steerer, wheel size and what travel do you currently have? These may be the limiting factors.

Sorry - straight 1-1/8” steerer, 26” QR and I think the magnum travel is 80mm but not sure. I don’t think any of those are limiting in the budget but it’s more about if changing adds any benefit. I thought it might but I’m a newbie as far as sus forks go...

Jody

Stubborn git
Top Bottom