Manitou suspension forks adjustment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I have some new Manitou suspension forks.

They have 3 adjustments; rebound, damping and preload.

This gives a large number of variations (think of a 3 digit combination bike lock = 999 possible codes)

where do I start? I'm quite heavy so plenty of preload will be needed but what about the other 2 adjustments?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I have some new Manitou suspension forks.

They have 3 adjustments; rebound, damping and preload.

This gives a large number of variations (think of a 3 digit combination bike lock = 999 possible codes)

where do I start? I'm quite heavy so plenty of preload will be needed but what about the other 2 adjustments?

Rebound is rebound damping. I presume "damping" meant compression damping. If unsure look up forks model, find manual online and check.

Having read this, adjust preload and see whether you manage to achieve a target sag of ~20% of travel. If you can't you might need stiffer spring(s). After that set rebound damping using the kerb drop-off trick. Once you've got that you can play with the compression damping so that compression is not so fast that the forks can easily bottom out nor so slow that travel and plushness are wasted for the target terrain.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Rebound is rebound damping. I presume "damping" meant compression damping. If unsure look up forks model, find manual online and check.

Having read this, adjust preload and see whether you manage to achieve a target sag of ~20% of travel. If you can't you might need stiffer spring(s). After that set rebound damping using the kerb drop-off trick. Once you've got that you can play with the compression damping so that compression is not so fast that the forks can easily bottom out nor so slow that travel and plushness are wasted for the target terrain.
thanks very helpful

Top Bottom