Many many thanks..............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
PatrickPending said:
last year I stopped to lend someone my bike pump - turned out to be the owner of the shop I bought the bike from! made me smile that :smile:
Not the bike shop in S.Wigston nr Canal St?!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Some years ago, the GF, Junior and I cycled south to Macclesfield on borrowed bikes without any tools along a disused railway track. If either of the two really friendly guys on MTBs who stopped and asked if they could help me fix the crank on my bike are on this list, many, many thanks.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I pretty-much always stop and ask if assistance is required. Just seems the decent thing to do. Good cycling Karma if you ask me.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Sorry to hear that Gazzaputt, I was in Peckham but on foot about 10am this morn or else I'd have stopped and given you a hand.
Worth noting is that there is a 'nuffink special' LBS on that stretch of road on the left heading north just after B*ger King.

T x

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
domtyler said:
If a bloke was quite obviously in need of assistance and I had the tools I might, but I wouldn't as a matter of course. It seems more like a quaint rural/northern thing to do imo.

I think that's really sad you and others think like this. I like stopping to help people, and I like it when people help me.

Fab Foodie said:
I pretty-much always stop and ask if assistance is required. Just seems the decent thing to do. Good cycling Karma if you ask me.

Good man, having met you, I'm not in the least bit surprised you do this!!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Its one of those things where a good deed is its own reward.

Few months back, saw a guy with a snapped chain - I carry a spare powerlink. He was back on his bike in a minute.

Felt good being able to help...

Couple of weeks later, car wouldn't start outside Wickes. Guy with a 4x4 offerred to give me a bump start (soon as he said this, it started on the key!). The offer was appreciated however.

Keith Oates

Janner
I always slow down and ask if he/she is OK when I see a cyclist with a flat or similar. Most times they say they can manage but sometimes they need a tool or tools to get going again. As for the multi tool tyre lever, I'm going off multi tools altogether as I feel they try to do everything and don't do anything well. I now carry loose tyre levers, a seperate set of allen keys, and a small adjustable spanner, in addition to the pump and spare tube. That get's me out of most problems although I agree a chain splitter would be a good tool to add to that lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
gambatte said:
Its one of those things where a good deed is its own reward.

Few months back, saw a guy with a snapped chain - I carry a spare powerlink. He was back on his bike in a minute.

Felt good being able to help...

Couple of weeks later, car wouldn't start outside Wickes. Guy with a 4x4 offerred to give me a bump start (soon as he said this, it started on the key!). The offer was appreciated however.

This is an example of good Karma being returned!

All together now, Ohmmmmmmmmm

OP
OP
gazzaputt

gazzaputt

tdr1nka said:
Sorry to hear that Gazzaputt, I was in Peckham but on foot about 10am this morn or else I'd have stopped and given you a hand.
Worth noting is that there is a 'nuffink special' LBS on that stretch of road on the left heading north just after B*ger King.

T x

Yea opens at 10 this happened at half 8 ;)

Cab

To be honest it wouldn't occur to me not to stop to help if I possibly could. There are a lot of cyclists here in Cambridge, and you see a lot of incidences of people simply coming off, a lot more than you see people working on punctures or roadside repairs. I'd say that I probably end up as first on the scene after a fall about once every two months; it isn't because I'm right up close to the accidents, its more that most other cyclists will ride straight past and not pay any attention. That really saddens me.

Thankfully, people being properly hurt and needing more than a few calming words and helping off the road with their bike is rare. Even so, its pathetic that people don't stop. And don't get me started on the BMW driver who stopped and sounded his horn at me and a bloke who had come off and got a gash in his forehead. Or the bunch of adults who pointed and laughed at a kid (12 or 13 or so) as he misjudged a mini-roundabout and fell off. I can take the not stopping to help far better than I can take such callousness.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have always offered help and had it offered back to me as well. It's the done thing.

biking_fox

Guru
"I have often wondered if an 'on call' basic repair/sweeper van could be a viable business option in London."

There used to be one in Guildford. Best idea ever. You phoned up, he turned up, fixed most stuff there and then. I never had to use him for roadside repairs, but pushing a broken bike to the bikeshop x miles away was a nightmare, that I no longer suffered.

If it worked in Guildford, I'm sure it would in London, and any city with a decent cycling population.

Top Bottom