Many thanks to everyone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iceniner

This evening i was out cycling around the city, where part of my route was along a small section of nice wide well lit A road. (route here in blue!)

Coming up to take a left turn, i moved into primary, checking the cars position behind me. I start to turn off left and get half way round the bend (There are traffic islands in the middle so you cant stray into the oncoming traffic lane.) and a car behind me starts to over-take.

For this moment i admit i was between primary and a good secondary as i was half way around the corner, taking it at speed ready to end back up in primary until i had passed a safe distance from the turning.

The driver came to about a foot and a bit of clipping me, then my front tyre. I started trying to pull into the space on the left but it all happend rather fast and i found my self shouting a loud and sharp "OI!" as they drove on.

I carried on up the road and the car pulled in, up onto the pavement about 10 seconds up the road. I was thinking of stopping and using Magnatom's " Drive like that on your test did you??" but as the car passed earlier i saw their widows were all fogged up and there was a couple of people in the back too. I wasn't about to start anything so just carried on past them.

I know this happens a fair amount to people here but this was the first time it's been really close for me (I've only been cycling 4months now). I think that if it wasnt for reading cyclecraft, and the posts/videos people put on here, then i wouldn't have coped with the situation so well.

So thank you to everyones' advice and posts here, its helped this newbie deal with this situation and more importantly to have the confidence to carry on without being too badly phased.

Keep on ridin'!

Keep up the good work Iceniner!

(Have you found the secret thread about how best to carry a concealed long-bow and miniature hydraulic car-crusher on a commuting bike?)

Iceniner,

It's a great place this isn't it!

I started reading the old C+ forums before I took up cycling (just over 2 and a half years ago), and I am glad I did as I learned a lot from the folk on there. I would have been completely clueless without it and I am sure I would have been a greater risk on the roads.

Most of the folk I trusted moved here and so did I.

We all have a lot to learn and this is a great friendly place to do it. I'm sure I would enjoy having a pint with most folk on here (especially if they were buying!:smile:)

Tetedelacourse

Iceniner said:
This evening i was out cycling around the city, where part of my route was along a small section of nice wide well lit A road. (route here in blue!)

Coming up to take a left turn, i moved into primary, checking the cars position behind me. I start to turn off left and get half way round the bend (There are traffic islands in the middle so you cant stray into the oncoming traffic lane.) and a car behind me starts to over-take.

For this moment i admit i was between primary and a good secondary as i was half way around the corner, taking it at speed ready to end back up in primary until i had passed a safe distance from the turning.

The driver came to about a foot and a bit of clipping me, then my front tyre. I started trying to pull into the space on the left but it all happend rather fast and i found my self shouting a loud and sharp "OI!" as they drove on.

I carried on up the road and the car pulled in, up onto the pavement about 10 seconds up the road. I was thinking of stopping and using Magnatom's " Drive like that on your test did you??" but as the car passed earlier i saw their widows were all fogged up and there was a couple of people in the back too. I wasn't about to start anything so just carried on past them.

I know this happens a fair amount to people here but this was the first time it's been really close for me (I've only been cycling 4months now). I think that if it wasnt for reading cyclecraft, and the posts/videos people put on here, then i wouldn't have coped with the situation so well.

So thank you to everyones' advice and posts here, its helped this newbie deal with this situation and more importantly to have the confidence to carry on without being too badly phased.

Keep on ridin'!

You're welcome;)

:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
Well as the author of most of the top quality advice on this site I feel it is only right that I take most of the credit. IceNiner, you are welcome my friend! ;)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
magnatom said:
We all have a lot to learn and this is a great friendly place to do it. I'm sure I would enjoy having a pint with most folk on here (especially if they were buying!;))

Magnatom - feeding the Scots stereotype????

;):laugh::laugh:;)

Top Bottom