Mapping Software?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi,
i am still new to road riding so still somewhat nervous in traffic so i am hoping someone can recommend me some mapping software so i can concentrate on the smaller country road near me and avoid the trunk roads?
I can then download the tracks to my GPS.
thanks

Last edited:
Don't believe that smaller country roads are in fact safer. Quite often due to limited visibility and restricted room to manoeuvre they can be as if not more dangerous

There is a mapping system that is called "Cycle Streets"

It offers a range of routes

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I use Ride With GPS to do the route and export to my Garmin. Done alongside Google maps so I can use satellite view plus street view to see what the roads are actually like

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I really like the ability to switch between Google and OS maps in Bikehike and being able to print a map of the route - in much better detail than with RWGPS. You can also download the route as various file types including gpx

Trickedem

Guru
bikehike.co.uk is the best site. This allows you to plot a road route whilst seeing an ordnance survey map at the same time. As long as you keep to a yellow road, it will be a proper road that you can ride a road bike on.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
For planning a route and uploading to a Garmin I find RwGPS much the easiest to use. This may be because I haven't figured out how to use BikeHike properly, but I do find it so much easier to tweak a route on RwGPS. I do this a lot in order to get the distance right and - questionable as this may seem - achieve an outline that looks nice.

This is mainly for rides that start and finish from home, so most of the roads I'm being routed along I know already. Any that I don't I'll check using either a physical OS map or Bing Maps to make sure they at least look like proper roads.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Ridewithgps for designing a route. Google Streetview for checking very minor roads aren't in fact private drives and if so the likelihood of not being caught! For quick route planning I prefer cycle.travel/map rather than any of the others - it is more reliable than cyclestreet for routing on quiet roads.

Then I export the gpx track to my mobile and over lay it on openstreetmap app. I've given up using my Garmin 810 now as I've missed so many turns and have lost big rides due to software crashes, so now record strava on my phone.

As I ride a cross bike I find the OSM gpx overlay far more helpful when navigating bridleways etc. All that's needed is a £7 handlebar phone case and a portable battery for recharging if necessary. For the ride I take off the phone's screen lock and set a two minute timeout to avoid wasting the battery.

GuyBoden

Guru
If you're just riding locally, you'll only need one map.

OS Explorer map 260, Nottingham, £5.84 at Dash4it.co.uk
https://dash4it.co.uk/catalog/product/view/sku/OSE260

9780319244579_Cover_2015-09_3.jpg

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thanks all. I suppose i meant quieter roads.
I see that you are Northampton based - where do you fancy riding ? I may be able to give a few tips on the local roads I like (and those I avoid). There are also a few other Northampton based riders who could help.
Personally I tend to use my own knowledge plus an OS map to plan the route. Then record it on a series of prompt cards to take with me. Old style but not let me down yet ...

Top Bottom