Maps on my garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
right I own a garmin edge 705. Im currently training for London to Paris. Im going to cycle to my partners parents house one day but unsure of the way going a safe way for a bike. Ive not used the navigation on my edge yet. do I just type in where I want to go in to it or do I download a route from laptop and put it to the garmin?

Norry1

Legendary Member
Best to create a route on the pc and then transfer it to your Garmin. That way you can select the best roads.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Ok thank you. Now Ive got a Sd card in my Garmin. So where do I do a route on Pc and then how do I load it to the Garmin? Its all new to me.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There are a number of different websites for this and everyone will have their favourite. One of the mo
st popular is

www.ridewithgps.com

It's fairly intuitive. Just create a user ID. Then go to "Plan" and start mapping a route. If you make a mistake you can always "undo" to go back in the route and make amendments. Once you're happy with the route, save it. Then you need to create a file to copy to your Garmin. There are several format options available on the website, have a play around to see what looks best when you view it on the Garmin. You save the file to your PC hard disk. Then attach your Garmin to the PC. When the PC recognises the Garmin you can copy the file from the PC to your Garmin. You copy it to the "New files" area of the Garmin and it'll do the rest.
Then you select he route on your Garmin and you're good to go

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Superb thank you. Ive got to go out in a min but will have a look into all of this. Thank you.

is it worth me getting an updated sd card with maps on for garmin?

sight-pin

Veteran
Just create and download from the Garmin Connect site, (although their are other options)
Move your pointer over 'Plan....Courses....which opens the 'Create Course...from which you can download to your edge etc,

Edit, But @nickyboy beat me to it lol

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Superb thank you. Ive got to go out in a min but will have a look into all of this. Thank you.

is it worth me getting an updated sd card with maps on for garmin?

I don't use the Garmin purchased maps. I use Open Street view maps instead which are free: I can't remember where I downloaded it from but if you google Open Streetview Maps for Garmin there's loads of help there. They're a very popular alternative to the purchased maps and I've found them to be 100% robust

I use several methods of routing, and in order of preference

www.bikeroutetoaster.com Needs some setting up but worth it.

Start at the editor tab, and for 1st use you'll need to drag editing, summary and routing to top left window (4way arrow to move near title) this leaves help/elevation and cue sheet to go together, then drag map side and bottom bars down to make map as big as possible (elevation and help are therfore big too - handy).

On routing tab tick 'auto routing' and choose 'bicycle' and drag bike path slider to whatever rating you fancy.
On map tab in upper right corner is a map choice drop down - choose open cycle map to see all cycle routes superimposed (these are 'crowd sourced' GPS plotted maps, but the paths are manually input so are occasionally a bit wrong).

Then at top of map is 'go to' - type in start place and map zooms there, left click actual start point then at as many points as you like towards the end, this allows you to review proposed route as you go and pick preferred options. If you click start point and direct to the end you'll probably find some sections you'd rather change so it's easier as you go.

Once happy with the route then export as a tcx file, this format blindly follows your chosen plot without the GPS trying to 2nd guess and re-route as it sees fit.

Or www.cycle.travel will do a great job from the off as it is cycle friendly, I prefer look of bikeroutetoaster map is only difference.

Or use www.gpsies.com and search for a previously ridden route either by place name or map view, select road bike/mtb/cycle as suits your steed and filter in/out distances and climb and see whats available.

Or give a landmark at each end and await suggestions!

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Thank you for help. Will look into these and have a play. So can I not use my garmin to select own route like a tom tom for a car? I know I can't do post code.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thank you for help. Will look into these and have a play. So can I not use my garmin to select own route like a tom tom for a car? I know I can't do post code.
Firstly I use a Garmin 810 so not sure if this applies to yours or not. With mine you can definitely navigate to a destination, just like with a Tom Tom. You can also set waypoints. To be honest, I don't use this facility. I prefer to plan a route myself and then upload it. Not because I don't trust the Garmin to get me where I want to go, more that I want to choose particular scenic routes, avoid busy roads or whatever. Doing a preplanned route guarantees I don't end up on a dual carriageway

Select WHERE TO and follow the instructions to enter your destination address, the Garmin will generate a route. But I don't know how good it would be and, personally, would far rather generate my own route using RideWithGPS and up lod it to the Garmin.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
One other thing. When you're planning a route somewhere you're not familiar with I recommend having a look at this site:

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap

This shows all the routes that cyclists using Strava (if you don't know it's a software that is popular with cyclists to record their rides). Following their routes is often the best way to avoid busy roads and find the nicest cycling

Norry1

Legendary Member
If you visit the address before the ride, take your Garmin and "Save Location" when there. This makes it easier to navigate to in future, But ideally, plot a route. If you use Strava, you can plot a route on that as well.

Also when it's peeing down, or freezing cold I derive great pleasure from planning routes in the warmth of my armchair.

Top Bottom