Maps ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
A mixture of the Sustrans maps (you need to be good at reading maps to follow a Sustrans map) and the 1:50,000 OSGB maps

It depends on how many maps you want, if you want campsites marked or are prepared to research that in advance and how good your map reading skills are.

We have toured the UK on a standard £4.99 car atlas (1 inch to 4 miles type thing) before now without any problems, but we don't often venture into cities where I could imagine it would be less than helpful.

We have toured Scotland on 1:250,000 and also not had any problems and this seems to be the ideal map for us in places with less roads.

The standard OS Pink series (1:50,0000) we find are great for telling you what is around, but even I can cover 1 of those a day (though it is more often 2 every 3 days for a direct route tour rather than a round in a circle tour - but that still makes for a lot of maps and a lot of £££s) and I am neither a fast cyclist or go further than 50 miles a day when on tour!

For most of my longest tours in the UK I use a A5 size Philips road map, If I think in my prior planning I want to go off road onto some byways etc I print just the section I want of say a 1:50000 OS map, I have a full set of 1:50000 OS landranger memory maps, but before that I used to go into the local library take the maps I wanted then Copied the relevant parts of the route I wanted.

Crankarm

Guru
1:50k OS Landranger paper maps cannot be beaten imho, yes the pink ones as SNSSO writes above. Or a GPS with full 1:50K OS mapping on. A road map helps as a bigger map for route planning long distances.

OP
OP
Barabus

Barabus

Nice one, thanks for the feed back guys.
Think I'll start off with the car atlas maps, cut out
and placed on top of the handlebar bag.
At least I'll look the part . . .

Top Bottom