Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercalia

Which do you use? Memory Map? Anquet? Osmand? There is a less well known map system called Andromaps and display app for Android called Cartograph ( also on Windows incl desktop and phone) whose main virtue is that is also designed for hikers in that it shows all sort of tracks clearly, not just roads, that I prefer as I like exploring tracks and paths.

Ruislip Lido London

Ruislip Lido.jpg

32spokes

Regular
I haven't had any issues with OsmAmd (which is just an abbreviation for Open Street Map Android). They show all the possible tracks and it hasn't failed me once. Major benefit for it is that supports the offline maps.

Last edited:
Tried a few
can;t find Andromaps on my Android phone
Cartographer want money

really need one that works on Windows and Android - and doesn;t use too much (or no) bandwidth when out

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like OS Maps on my phone for the UK.
I use the Memory Map app on my phone and it has the OS maps for the UK (except for N.I.) at 1:250,000;1:50,000; 1:25,000; 1:10,000 scales.

For navigation on the bike though, I use a breadcrumb trail display on a map-free old Garmin. The routes are created on OS mapping (on Memory Map and cycle.travel) at home.

OP
OP
M

mercalia

I haven't had any issues with OsmAmd (which is just an abbreviation for Open Street Map Android). They show all the possible tracks and it hasn't failed me once. Major benefit for it is that supports the offline maps.

yes but the tracks are not very clearly marked

OP
OP
M

mercalia

Tried a few
can;t find Andromaps on my Android phone
Cartographer want money

really need one that works on Windows and Android - and doesn;t use too much (or no) bandwidth when out

Cartograph apps available on both Windows ( store) and Android. Both are offline. There seems to be 3 version in the Windows store, one is free("Cartograph Maps 3"). I have the pro that works on windows phone also. Andromaps is the source of the maps, based on Openstreet. The apps are a one off cost unlike Osmand which is a subscription model these days. Nothing is free these days. The Andro maps are free. Just not the apps.

The main advantage of osmand is that search seems to be offline whereas for Cartograph it needs an online connection

https://www.openandromaps.org/en

cartograph.JPG

Last edited:
......... whose main virtue is that is also designed for hikers in that it shows all sort of tracks clearly
Anything that gets us out and spreading our wings is a good thing in my book. However, we should be careful in what we use, and how. I'm aware of conflict in other places where bikes are now going along tracks and trails that were previously only used by pedestrians.

I'm a big fan of Osmand, but any online router/planner (as opposed to map) can offer up some "interesting" options.
This is suitable for cars, bikes and horses! ^_^
IMG_20220116_150613.jpg

Yes, the offline option is fabulous and the kind of thing that we don't really think we need - until we need it!
To go one step further, it will plan a route offline and allow that route to be exported to a gps unit, for example. Not many routing apps will do that offline.

As I've alluded to before; OS paper maps. Never lost signal and never had a battery / power pack fail in fifty years - ! :laugh:
Of course not. But wind and rain can hamper their utility ^_^
There is no comparison to looking at a "real" map for the big picture and opening a map is a great way to attract conversation, but digital maps are very useful too.

As I've alluded to before; OS paper maps. Never lost signal and never had a battery / power pack fail in fifty years - ! :laugh:

Yes - extremly reliable and I have always been pretty good at using them

However, I am still having trouble with the feature that tells you where you are after spending an hour riding down various random tracks, paths and wiggly roads so that you end up by a cross roads with no signs or clues and the sun is behind clouds
normally at this point it is just starting to rain

I have used google maps to find out where I am and then use an OS map to go from there though - to be fair

Top Bottom