Free offline maps app for just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I was looking for an OS map to cover a ride I was planning in mid Wales. But seems the ride is centred around the join of 4 maps...

Then I remembered my son uses Maps.me as his phone contract has restricted data. So I have downloaded it and downloaded the Wales map and have to say it looks great as a back up. Can also search for vital amenities like pubs, shops and cafes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro

I'm not familiar with maps.me but I believe a recent change in ownership has changed the functionality of the app. I believe it's one of the few apps that work with KML files?

I am a huge fan of Osmand, based on OpenStreetMaps that can be used for hiking, biking, driving and sailing!
It is incredibly complex and not exactly easy to learn but is well worth it, in my opinion. There are a multitude of Points of Interest, I can add my own, look at various route options on the one map, see surface information and the gradient information is excellent. It retains almost full functionality offline.
I believe it is free to try if used for designated maps but will require a payment or sub for use away from that.

Google Maps is useful for saving maps offline. Highlight what you want (shops, campsites etc.) and download the map. It won't do bike navigation offline (but will for a car) but can be useful as the search tool is generally superior. To be clear, I never recommend Google Maps as a bike route planner.

CycleTravel has an ios app and an Android app will be out soon. Free to use but I'd encourage any regular user to make a small donation, it is, in my opinion the best app for multi day touring and bike riding in general.

iOverlander is another useful app, free to use, volunteer run but may be less useful in the UK.

In relation to depending on an app to use offline, I'd strongly encourage anyone to test them out in advance before relying on them in the wild. Sometimes, there may be a small quirk in how an app operates offline as opposed to online or based on what is in the cache memory of the device.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
CycleTravel has an ios app and an Android app will be out soon. Free to use but I'd encourage any regular user to make a small donation, it is, in my opinion the best app for multi day touring and bike riding in general.
I am looking forward to the Android app. We supporters now have the option to switch to OS maps.

I have the whole UK (except for N. I.) OS maps on Memory Map on my phone if I want to consult maps when out. (I normally don't because I do the map reading at home when planning my routes, but sometimes I want to identify some distant geographical feature.)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a free approach that may not work for everyone. ;)

I discovered that my sister has a fair few "digital edition" OS maps and she doesn't use the OS digital services. So I got the codes for free and can use the excellent OS app.

Unfortunately the places my sister is interested in, and the places I'm interested in don't overlap much.:scratch:

Mike_P

Guru
The OS map app is a bit flaxy, I tried using it and despite having the map downloaded it was demanding I login in a location without seemingly a signal.

Google Maps is useful for saving maps offline. Highlight what you want (shops, campsites etc.) and download the map.

How do you do this??? :P

(I've often used it offline and found it remembers the previous recent searches/roads which is rather useful, but I've never worked out how to control/train the algorithm ... )

My only route prep is to sometimes download my rwgps route to offline storage [you get the associated map tiles downloaded "for free"]. That works very well for shorter trips.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Google maps works well for me offline once you save your relevant area.
Yes, I'll often update Google maps with a new offline area when I'm on my travels, but it's very light on details once you leave the roads.

Even with the cycling layer on, it's showing a big empty patch of land which I know is covered with bridleways and other tracks.

1685979663019.png

Bing is similar until you select the fantastic Ordnance Survey layer, although Openstreetmaps seems best of all if you can find an app that works for you.
1685979808734.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
in the past i used downloaded maps for my garmin 800
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

I have a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, but interesting to note that. If it goes wrong it is quite tricky to navigate with. Have changed phone provider since I was last in the area so just thinking what to do in worst case scenario
Not sure what you mean by "go wrong"?

I used to have an Elemnt, the bigger version of the Bolt with no re-routing capabiliities.
I found the companion app to be pretty poor for planning (and needed to be online).
It is perfectly feasible to plot a route on Osmand, save as a gpx file, open it in the Wahoo App (no internet required) and send it to the unit - all offline.
Indeed, it is far superior to any on-unit planning options that I am aware of as I can adjust the route to my heart's content before exporting to Wahoo.
The only proviso is that, depending on location and personal tastes, the Osmand bike routing can be hit and miss,
With a bit of forethought, the "original" route can be visible in Osmand too so that you can see where you are and how best to get back on route.

For a wandering bike tourist in strange places it really is a very useful combination.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Not sure what you mean by "go wrong"?

Sorry wasn't clear. I have an Elemnt Bolt. Wahoo have had to replace it twice. No end of little niggles with it , though suspect it may be the Bluetooth on my phone (see below).

There are two scenarios I worry about when in unknown territory:
1. Complete failure of device and there is no phone reception (paper map would be handy)
2. I tend not to ride with noisy beeping prompts so I sometimes go wrong, or decide to explore something interesting. With my device if you do that it can be hard to find your way back to the route because if you zoom out on Map mode to find the breadcrumb trail the smaller roads disappear and it's tricky to change the orientation.

Came across another solution, which was to download the route in Komoot onto my phone (only downside is Komoot tends to drain the battery in Navigate mode). Hence the OP. Ideally I would splash the cash for a bespoke map of the area for a single ride...

Other minor issues with Wahoo:
To choose a route sometimes I can choose from the app, but often it won't load on the Bolt. So, I have to choose the route on the device. Also some issues pairing, if I have been using bluetooth for another device. Sometimes a ride won't sync to the app even if I am at home on Wi-Fi.

1. Complete failure of device and there is no phone reception (paper map would be handy)
In fairness, I think a complete failure of the device is unlikely.
In the event of that, and no phone reception there are two options suggested in this thread.
2. I tend not to ride with noisy beeping prompts so I sometimes go wrong, or decide to explore something interesting.
I did that for years, in various places. Heading in the general direction was enough for me. I put on my "explore" head and off I go. However, I have a go-anywhere bike so I'm not bothered about surfaces etc.

For me, this is one of the killer differences between Wahoo and most Garmins.

The flip side is that going off course on a Garmin Touring unit (to be fair a good few years ago) was a nightmare for the opposite reason - a small, colour screen with far too much detail and colour.

I want my unit to show me where to go and to record my ride. I don't need detailed maps. My phone is better for those.
Ideally I would splash the cash for a bespoke map of the area for a single ride...
There's a lot to be said for a good, big, paper map.
But this is the Touring and Adventure forum and carrying all the maps necessary for a long tour can be ......... (insert favourite adjective here ^_^)

In fairness to Wahoo and their units I've used first an Elemnt, then a Roam (because a Bolt was unavailable) and can count on one hand any serious issues.
The biggest issue can be connectivity, and like you, I suspect that our phones can play a part in that.
I rarely use the app.

download the route in Komoot

A word of warning on this, especially if in out of the way places. A route created in one planner may be "adjusted" on importation to another if the underlying maps or algorithims are different. To be honest, I don't quite understand the nuts and bolts of it, but I know it can happen.
It's perhaps best demonstrated on RWGPS where a route can "jump around" depending on the map displayed.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

In fairness, I think a complete failure of the device is unlikely.
In the event of that, and no phone reception there are two options suggested in this thread.

I did that for years, in various places. Heading in the general direction was enough for me. I put on my "explore" head and off I go. However, I have a go-anywhere bike so I'm not bothered about surfaces etc.

For me, this is one of the killer differences between Wahoo and most Garmins.

The flip side is that going off course on a Garmin Touring unit (to be fair a good few years ago) was a nightmare for the opposite reason - a small, colour screen with far too much detail and colour.

I want my unit to show me where to go and to record my ride. I don't need detailed maps. My phone is better for those.

There's a lot to be said for a good, big, paper map.
But this is the Touring and Adventure forum and carrying all the maps necessary for a long tour can be ......... (insert favourite adjective here ^_^)

In fairness to Wahoo and their units I've used first an Elemnt, then a Roam (because a Bolt was unavailable) and can count on one hand any serious issues.
The biggest issue can be connectivity, and like you, I suspect that our phones can play a part in that.
I rarely use the app.

A word of warning on this, especially if in out of the way places. A route created in one planner may be "adjusted" on importation to another if the underlying maps or algorithims are different. To be honest, I don't quite understand the nuts and bolts of it, but I know it can happen.
It's perhaps best demonstrated on RWGPS where a route can "jump around" depending on the map displayed.

Thanks for words of experience. The route was created in Komoot and synced to Wahoo so.should be the same. Lots of main roads and I have tried to.commit to memory the major towns (though can't pronounce them). I think two failures of an Elemnt Bolt in 3 years is bad luck.

I use the app to change the settings on my device and also to send the route to my training plan (numbers geek alert).

Also go hiking with the family so always curious about alternative offline back ups to map and compass. Though have to say Komoot was great for the Gribin Ridge, in conjunction with a 1:40000 hiking map

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Osmand and AAT on android can both both download map tiles to display later and draw the maps themselves on the device if given the right downloads.

Friends don't let friends cycle from Google maps. They're too incomplete and route oddly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom