Free offline maps app for just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Though have to say Komoot was great for the Gribin Ridge, in conjunction with a 1:40000 hiking map
I wouldn't trust Komoot to direct me to the bathroom ^_^

We're all different, have different needs and wants.

The only extra thing I'd suggest is that any tech aid is only as good as its user and that we should have a good knowledge of how they work before depending on them.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I wouldn't trust Komoot to direct me to the bathroom ^_^

We're all different, have different needs and wants.

The only extra thing I'd suggest is that any tech aid is only as good as its user and that we should have a good knowledge of how they work before depending on them.

Just downloaded OSMAnd and it looks great. Thanks. Off out for a ride so will see how it is "in the field". Do you use just the basic version?

Just downloaded OSMAnd and it looks great. Thanks. Off out for a ride so will see how it is "in the field". Do you use just the basic version?

Several years ago I made a one off payment that was for life.
Due to interesting circumstances I then had to start anew and now have a subscription.
I believe the option exists to have full, free usage for a limited geographical area but anything outside of that needs a sub.

It is not easy to get a handle on (at least for me), has layers and layers of detail but I have found it well worth the effort.

Don't forget that to use if offline requires the maps downloaded in advance.

There are online tutorials. YouTube is your friend.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Several years ago I made a one off payment that was for life.
Due to interesting circumstances I then had to start anew and now have a subscription.
I believe the option exists to have full, free usage for a limited geographical area but anything outside of that needs a sub.

It is not easy to get a handle on (at least for me), has layers and layers of detail but I have found it well worth the effort.

Don't forget that to use if offline requires the maps downloaded in advance.

There are online tutorials. YouTube is your friend.

Think I can download 7 or 8 maps on the free version. Got Wales and West Midlands

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My experience of OSMand (very little) is that it would be ideal for this use. Offline maps that you can browse just in case. A replacement for having four paper maps in your bag. OSMand only really becomes confusing (in my limited experience) when you try to do anything other than just looking at the map. Provided you can figure out how to download the maps that is.

Personally, due to my Ordnance Survey addiction, I would put my hand in my pocket and buy the OS maps and use the OS app. But that's not what the OP asked.

Personally, due to my Ordnance Survey addiction, I would put my hand in my pocket and buy the OS maps and use the OS app. But that's not what the OP asked.
For anyone unaware, CycleTravel offers the use of Ordnance Survey maps (and foreign equivalents) to subscribers.

I know nothing of the app but my understanding is that it allows for the downloading of maps to use offline. I cannot say if that applies to OS maps.

I was looking for an OS map to cover a ride I was planning in mid Wales. But seems the ride is centred around the join of 4 maps...

I don't think anyone's posted this yet: you can buy custom paper maps from OS, centred at the location of your choice. :smile:

[I keep meaning to get one centred at our house; some friends have got one on the wall in their hall, but we haven't really got as suitable a site. Needs thought ... ]

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't think anyone's posted this yet: you can buy custom paper maps from OS, centred at the location of your choice. :smile:

[I keep meaning to get one centred at our house; some friends have got one on the wall in their hall, but we haven't really got as suitable a site. Needs thought ... ]

My sister has a place in the Yorkshire Dales and the Big Map for the wall was the first furnishing she brought.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

We have one centred on our house, framed and up in the living room 😎

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But do any of the OS maps yet show cycleways and cycle routes in anything close to as much detail as CyclOSM.org? Sparse blobs and no indication whether it's dirt or paved while giving priority markings to motorways and A roads simply isn't a good map for cycling.

You can also have offline maps in Google Maps, if you just want a backup for road use.

As I keep repeating, I'd never recommend Google Maps for route planning but it's very easy to search things out, classify them differently, have them show on the map and save it for offline reference.
Osmand does it too, but Google is really easy (but not comprehensive) for searching.

Screenshot_2023-06-06-16-58-08-474_com.google.android.apps.maps-1.jpg

And Osmand has similar features, but the search can be a bit more clumsy. It has the advantage that I can select any POI and navigate to it

1686063846142.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom