Free offline maps app for just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Sometimes I wonder why I bother replying.

I have appreciated everyone's input. Only been riding 4 years so have plenty to learn. The tangents are half the fun... (there is always "unwatch")

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As I keep repeating, I'd never recommend Google Maps for route planning but it's very easy to search things out, classify them differently, have them show on the map and save it for offline reference.
Osmand does it too, but Google is really easy (but not comprehensive) for searching.

View attachment 693444

And Osmand has similar features, but the search can be a bit more clumsy. It has the advantage that I can select any POI and navigate to it

View attachment 693445

And as the OP wanted, and keeps repeating; it’s for backup if their GPS fails, not route planning. For backup purposes it’ll do the job just fine.

And as the OP wanted, and keeps repeating; it’s for backup if their GPS fails, not route planning. For backup purposes it’ll do the job just fine.

And my post references two different, but similar options for backup purposes, with a comment on route planning which may be helpful to the OP, to others. Or not.

It was elaborating on your own post.
You can also have offline maps in Google Maps, if you just want a backup for road use.
The OP didn't ask about road use.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
And my post references two different, but similar options for backup purposes, with a comment on route planning which may be helpful to the OP, to others. Or not.

It was elaborating on your own post.

The OP didn't ask about road use.

Hence why I added the qualification “if for road use”. If they’d said for road use explicitly I wouldn’t have needed to add that qualifier would I!

Hence why I added the qualification “if for road use”. If they’d said for road use explicitly I wouldn’t have needed to add that qualifier would I!

So yourself and @Dogtrousers have a problem with

It has the advantage that I can select any POI and navigate to it
?

But not

it's very easy to search things out, classify them differently, have them show on the map and save it for offline reference.
Osmand does it too, but Google is really easy (but not comprehensive) for searching.

And Osmand has similar features, but the search can be a bit more clumsy.
?

^_^

I take issue with you saying Google maps isn’t suitable as backup for GPS if the latter fails in Mid Wales when on roads.

But I didn't sat any of that?

I never mentioned Wales.

I never said it wasn't suitable as a backup for GPS.
In fact I posted a screenshot from my phone to show how I use Google Maps as a backup to GPS. I extolled the virtues of its easy searching and saving.

I did say a few times that I don't recommend it as a planner. But that's OK, isn't it because as you have highlighted, it's
not route planning

I'm very confused, now.

For the record, I wan't disagreeing with your post. I thought I was supplementing it.

(there is always "unwatch")
With respect, no. Just no.

People can post about maps on walls but I get picked up on commenting on route planning capabilities because it's off topic?

:banghead:

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
But I didn't sat any of that?

I never mentioned Wales.

I never said it wasn't suitable as a backup for GPS.
In fact I posted a screenshot from my phone to show how I use Google Maps as a backup to GPS. I extolled the virtues of its easy searching and saving.

I did say a few times that I don't recommend it as a planner. But that's OK, isn't it because as you have highlighted, it's

I'm very confused, now.

For the record, I wan't disagreeing with your post. I thought I was supplementing it.

With respect, no. Just no.

People can post about maps on walls but I get picked up on commenting on route planning capabilities because it's off topic?

:banghead:

Ah no worries. Just wanted you to know I appreciated your advice a.d the tangents anyway (and that of others)

Tom B

Guru
Okay, so I suppose it depends how you define free.....

But I have the OS Maps app. When you buy a paper map you get the downloadable version for free via a code in the front of the map.

I also have an OS Maps subscription, I think its about £25 a year, however, i also have google rewards app. This asks you for surveys about stuff based on where you have been. In return you get credit to spend in the play store. I use this to pay for the subscription thus its free.

I have had the issues with it making me sign in, but that was resolved with a re-install.

It doesn't like a bad signal, which being on o2 and having a phone with weak reception means I tend to switch to aeroplane mode if its having a fart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom