maps

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mik, 22 Apr 2010.

1. mik

mik New Member

Just wondering what scale maps people used for general rides. We currently use the O/S 1 mile to 2.5 inch but would a smaller scale be better? ie do they still show the car neglected lanes we love so well...

regards

2. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

http://streetmap.co.uk/

3. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

I use the OS Northern England map at 1:200,000, which covers everywhere I could get to in a day. It doesn't include every single back road, but that is not necessary - you quickly develop the skill of reading the landscape and on a bike I only need to know exactly where I am some of the time, not all of the time.

On my normal range of about 30 miles from home I don't take a map because I pretty much know all the roads anyway.

Tracklogs for pre- and post-ride analysis.

4. chillyuk

chillyuk Guest

I ride purely for pleasure, and exploring without maps is half the fun. Most of the time one is only lost for a couple of miles before seeing a roadsign to somewhere recognisable.

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

It's the Landrangers for me, the 1:50,000 ones. All the roads and details I need.

6. Me too. Ideal for cycling.
    Back in the day when I used to do longer rides, I used to tear the necessary pages out of an old road atlas. Great if you're sticking to A and B roads and you can easily carry enough pages to cover an awful lot of ground.

7. I hate being lost, especially on a bike since any detour will involve Tim Moore's special "shag battering bollock-sodding kilometres" which are necessary as soon as you have to retrace your steps.;)

8. OP
    OP
    mik

mik New Member

thanks for that...seems like the o/s 1:50000 is favorite as I say we have been using the 1:25000 series but find that sometimes they contain a little more detail than we need

9. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

+1 - just print out what you need, fold, and put in jersey pocket, much easier than lugging around a complete OS map. One of the scale settings is pretty much OS detail anyway.

10. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

Landranger and Pathfinder are on there.

Also AtoZ for street names.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice