Marathon Pluses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So whats the trick to fitting these ? Had a quick go and got nowhere, its like you need another pair of hands to push them on, they don`t even sit in the rim ?? Think i`ll take them back to LBS, they slightly overhcarged me anyway.

Maz

Guru
Hmm. Any chance they can fit them for you?
I plan on getting some All Condition Pros soon (meant to be quite good at puncture resistance). I think I'll ask the LBS to fit them for me as well. Will they just laugh at me if I suggest that?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you buy them from the LBS - they should fit them too .... mine did for my Marathon tyres (they possibly charged me for doing it but I don't think they did).

Tynan

Veteran
I'm on the regular Marathons without problems, those pluses look something designed to be sold to people frightened of punctures to me

heavy too init?

Tynan said:
I'm on the regular Marathons without problems, those pluses look something designed to be sold to people frightened of punctures to me

heavy too init?

No. These tyres are designed for people who cycle through the Clyde Tunnel in Glasgow!! I find the sound of crunching glass keeps me awake as I cycle in, in the morning!

As for fitting them, they do take a fair amount of brute force, which probably depends on the exact dimensions of your rim. Ask your LBS for help if needed.

Of course because they are so puncture resistant you don't have to take them off very much, which is good news!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Just put them on the Brommie last week. Rear went on OK (but harder than the Bromp yellow it replaced). Front required a bit of assistance from a plastic tyre lever - a possiblity acknowledged in the fitting instructions.

galaxy1

I've got a marathon plus tyre on my back wheel and I didnt have any problems fitting it,which I thought might be the case after reading threads like these and reviews but no,no problems

frog

I remember that Marathon Plus were really hard to get on. The secret is to get the bead right down into the bottom of the rim. Work the tyre onto the rim as best you can. You'll be left with about a quarter of a turn still to get on.

Start either on left or right side depending which 'handed' you are. Hold the tyre in place and go the long way around the rim pushing the bead into the bottom well of the rim. That will get an inch or so onto the rim when you get around to the other side. Do that three or four times and you're almost there.

Now, you need a VAR tyre lever to get the rest on. This works opposite to a normal tyre lever because you pull the rest of the tyre onto the rim rather than push. Much easier!! And you don't pinch the inner tube either!

I've moved onto Marathon Supremes. Cost more but these are foldable and half the weight of the Plus. Very easy to get on. The Supreme is almost a slick and very hard wearing. Unfortunately, they don't have the same size availability as the Plus so you might not get one for your size wheels.

Perhaps they are the wrong size.

catwoman said:
I have just invested in some Marathon Plus Tyres - yes, I am scared of punctures....The bike shop fitted them. Are they any good?:smile:

They are as bullet proof as they come. I often have to cycle over glass on my commute and they cope very well. I've had one puncture with them on and that was a large shard of glass through the side wall. Nothing can stop that! I've had them for about a year now so I am very pleased.:tongue:

PrettyboyTim

I bought mine after getting a run of punctures at the end of last year. I don't have a problem fixing them, but not having to is nicer :sad:

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well took them to LBS whom got them no bother, other than it took 2 of them to do it :biggrin: However getting it home, i realise now how bad these wheels are that came with bike, 2 tubes burst at valve due to poor machining of hole in rim, really poor. So they have now been off twice and back on by myself :smile: I`m now out of inner tubes, so need to buy some more however i hope never to use them in anger anytime soon.

BTW 700x25 tyres fit on the langster if anyone else was wondering, however, it really depends on how far back your rear tyre sits for if your chain is short then you will fowl the brake boss.

catwoman

magnatom said:
They are as bullet proof as they come. I often have to cycle over glass on my commute and they cope very well. I've had one puncture with them on and that was a large shard of glass through the side wall. Nothing can stop that! I've had them for about a year now so I am very pleased.:biggrin:

I got another good review for these tyres today from "The Bike Man" at work. We have someone come in every other Thursday to fix our bikes for the cost of new parts only. My employer pays for his time. (very good service)
He told me that he fixes Police and Paramedics bikes and when they get them new they take the tyres off and fit Marathon Plus tyres.
So I am feeling very pleased with my purchase. ;)

Top Bottom