Marathon + Puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Superglue dries hard, so it can be pushed into the tyre as the tyre rotates.
My preffered choice is a product called Stormsure - divers use it on their wetsuits, so if they trust it, I think I can.
How often do divers you know roll along the road? :laugh:

zacklaws

Guru
On the odd occasion that I have patched a tyre, I use a piece of old tyre, bit stronger and permanent than an innertube patch which is Ok for a get you home fix. When I get an old tyre I just cut it into tyre boots and carry about three with me. Just using rubber solution will vulcanise a piece of tyre to the tyre, no need for fancy glues.

As for super glue repairing tyres its unreliable, I tried it, works for a bit but they just open up again eventually, and if you ride in the wet, then they are guaranteed to open up straight away, especcially with all the flexing of the tyre. Water softens superglue, its one of the ways of parting your fingers when you stick them together, just soak in water.

Last edited:

zacklaws

Guru
They're probably more likely to notice something that's dried hard and pointy on their wetsuits than we are on our tyres though :smile:

Not really, they can just have a quick tweak of the wetsuit to alleviate the problem and hardly likely to sink when they puncture, we'll notice it when a pointy thing goes through our innertube and we roll to a halt and no quick tweak solution to fixing it.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Anyone tried 'Gorilla Glue' ? I used it on the rubber heel of a shoe that had worn through and was letting in water. That was 9 months ago and it's still holding up. :thumbsup:
I reckon it would be worth a try on a tyre repair.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Not really, they can just have a quick tweak of the wetsuit to alleviate the problem and hardly likely to sink when they puncture, we'll notice it when a pointy thing goes through our innertube and we roll to a halt and no quick tweak solution to fixing it.
I'll take your word for it. I'd notice a pointy thing in my raiment fairly quickly, I like to think, although I'll confess to never having worn a wetsuit.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I always wondered what that bit was for!

So did I......until they stopped putting them in the kits - maybe that explains why they stopped putting them in!

shadow master

Afternoon all
I have picked up a nasty piece of glass which has gone through my 500 mile M+ Tyre.

Will the tyre still be ok to use after taking out the glass or shall I replace the tyre and tube ??

If the tyre wasn't just a few months old I would replace it too (Last one lasted 4 years)

Thanks
Put some superglue in the hole,its amazing how stone chippings make there way in to existing holes

Crankarm

Guru
On the odd occasion that I have patched a tyre, I use a piece of old tyre, bit stronger and permanent than an innertube patch which is Ok for a get you home fix. When I get an old tyre I just cut it into tyre boots and carry about three with me. Just using rubber solution will vulcanise a piece of tyre to the tyre, no need for fancy glues.

As for super glue repairing tyres its unreliable, I tried it, works for a bit but they just open up again eventually, and if you ride in the wet, then they are guaranteed to open up straight away, especcially with all the flexing of the tyre. Water softens superglue, its one of the ways of parting your fingers when you stick them together, just soak in water.

This ^^^^. Triple like.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
2nd update - Still good.

Gear cable snapped last week though and this week fluids somehow leaked out of the reservoir so got no rear brake until I bleed and top it up. Luckily off after today though.

3 things already this year - Don't think I had 3 all last year !

Top Bottom