Marathon Racer failure!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I popped into the garage the other day and noticed that my summer Trike had a flat, it had been OK when last used and still OK several days after I did the monthly top up of pressure. So today I stripped off the tyre and found the carcass had suffered a de-lamination. No sign of damage to the outside of the carcass but a huge split in the rubberised fabric inner surface of the tyre.

Very disappointed in this, while the tyres are 5 years old they still have a reasonable amount of tread left. I am now looking at what tyre I want to replace them with.

The only double blow out I have suffered on any bike, was while making 40 mph haste downhill on an Ice B2 with Marathon racers fitted. The tyres had only done a few hundred miles - so I wouldn't endorse them.

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
Well on the advice from several friends, I've order Trykers for the tryke, sorry trike! More come the fine weather when the Catrike gets an outing. Meanwhile Tirpitz is in use.

DaddyPaddey

I have done many thousands of miles Audax, touring, commute and never had a problem with Marathon plus. Did have a blowout once on my upwrong front tyre at about 30 mph, and at 2 am, whilst using Panaracers. That cured the constipation!

starhawk

My Marathon + are beginning to look rather flat, but no problems with them. But now that it's time to buy new tires I am leaning towards Tannus tires, then I can leave that lot of patches, tools and pump at home (again).

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
Well I've fitted the Trykers, for a folding tyre not too difficult to fit, although I did manage to trap an inner tube and it blew at about 80psi! My ears are still ringing. They look very smart, time will tell if I like them as much as the Big Apples on the Kettwiesel.

Big Apples are my favourite tyres, having used them on folding bikes, recumbent bikes and trikes - even a mountain bike. The Trykers will have to win their spurs at the long battle of Tarmacadam.

My experience .....
Trykers are fine (fast and good grip) if there's no flint/glass shards around.
If there is then the softer compound is more likely to pick up shards in the wet than other tyres.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
5 years is quite an age. At the mo I have a M+ rear and the racers on the front. Never had a prob other than them not lasting as long as the M+'s.

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
I did a couple of hundred miles on M+ on the Kettwiesel then changed to Kojaks, the trike came alive on the Kojaks, whereas it was like pedalling through cold treacle on the M+s. I detest M+ with a passion after the still cursed rainy night in Darlington when knuckles were skinned tyre levers broken and the air turned blue. After rescue, the next day it took a couple of metal tyre levers and a metal Motorcycle lever to get the blastard thing off the 700C rims of my tourer.

Let no one tell you M+s don't puncture, they do and can be utter swines to get off the rim!

The Big Apples on my Kettwiesel are older than the Marathon Racers were. They got fitted in January 2009 and while the rear right (Driving wheel) has been replaced the other two are from then.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I did a couple of hundred miles on M+ on the Kettwiesel then changed to Kojaks, the trike came alive on the Kojaks, whereas it was like pedalling through cold treacle on the M+s. I detest M+ with a passion after the still cursed rainy night in Darlington when knuckles were skinned tyre levers broken and the air turned blue. After rescue, the next day it took a couple of metal tyre levers and a metal Motorcycle lever to get the blastard thing off the 700C rims of my tourer.

Let no one tell you M+s don't puncture, they do and can be utter swines to get off the rim!

The Big Apples on my Kettwiesel are older than the Marathon Racers were. They got fitted in January 2009 and while the rear right (Driving wheel) has been replaced the other two are from then.

M+'s are harder to get off than racers, but there is a definite knack. If you don't squeeze the opposite beading away from the rim then the part your working on won't come off even with tyre levers. I know what you're saying, I wouldn't want to change one in the dark, pi55ing rain, on a rural road, BUT, in 7 years of commuting, 6,000 miles a year, never had a puncture. The smaller the wheel the harder they are to get off. Back in the days before I discovered bents, I found 700 M+'s to be easy to remove? Maybe you have a make of rim that's problematic?

I did have a ripped valve once on a previous Trice, but I can't blame the tyre for that. As for speed, tyre choice seems less important on the Borealis......the weight masks the extra weight of the tyres, but I still run racers as I can swap a tube in 2 minutes. However, I can't risk a rear puncture as it would be nigh on impossible to fix at the roadside. Refitting the wheel is a nightmare as with the fairing there's only a couple of inches either side to slot it in whilst refitting the chain.......difficult even when it's raised on a bench!

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
It was a Thorn Club Tour, 700C rims and yes, I was trying to get the stupid bead into the well on the opposite side. In the shed after I'd rived the tyre off on one side and removed the inner tube I still couldn't get the other bead over the rim. In the end I cut the bead. I replaced the M+ with Panasela Tourguards which went on like a breeze, then did 8000 miles commuting in and out of town, in the heat of summer and the cold wet of winter without a puncture. However I would never claim they are puncture proof.

Now I've been changing tyres on bikes for well over 50 yrs and the only tyres that have given me troubles has been M+ two on the Club Tour and the three on the Kettwiesel and two punctures in all, one on each machine. The 406 ones on the Kettwiesel were pigs to get off in the comfort of the shed, needing zip ties aplenty and lots of muscle to get them off. Luckily the deflating tyre had got me home with a whiff or two from my CO2 pump. I'd not want to try changing one of them in the wet on the open road either.

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
Found this video regarding avoiding bloody constraint with marathon plus tyres.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Yes I have seen that one, or ones similar too. I suspect the 'trick' is to get the smallest rim size for the tyre.

All 406 rims are not equal, neither are all rims of any other size. I can and do remove and refit 406 Big Apples with one tyre lever and (Arthritic) hands, I've even fitted a few to my ICE QNT (Now sold.) and Kettwiesel without use of a lever. I defy anyone to do the same with an M+. The old M Racers were easy enough to remove on the odd occasion I had a puncture (Or in one case a failed Presta valve.)

As with any tyre the more it has been off and on a rim the easier it gets, but as 'puncture proof' M+ 'never lets you down' they tend to be right beggars when they do let you down.

As an aside I replaced the 700C M+s on my Thorn Club Tour with Pasela Tourguards and commuted nearly 10,000 miles without any issues. So you can be lucky with any tyre, but remember all tyres can fail and then you need something that can be easily fixed at the roadside.

Top Bottom