Maratona 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neil_D

My first time doing the Maratona this year, and I'm both excited by how amazing the course looks, and also a bit nervous given how challenging it sounds. Has anyone done it recently and got any advice on training for it in the UK? (given the lack of available mountains!) How does the long course compare to the London Ride100 in terms of a challenge, and the amount of training? With the right amount of training, is the long course 'doable' for a novice? I've done a couple of sportives before, the odd triathlon, and a bit of touring, biggest trip being Istanbul to Lisbon during the summer months. So have some experience of climbing Italian hills in the beating midday sun :smile: But the Maratona does look really difficult, so any advice appreciated...

Cheers,

Rode it last year. It's a tough course the long route includes the Giau, that was fun. The feed stations are the best ever, the goodie bag was great and the event overall was fantastic. Training well you need some and without getting too clever just find a minimum of 1000 meters of climbing in the shortest distance on a ride where you live, and go from there. Enjoy the event!!!

OP
OP
Neil_D

Neil_D

Good to hear such positive feedback about it! :smile: Cool. I'll try find a route that packs in as many climbs as possible. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to it :smile:

huwsparky

Über Member
Good to hear such positive feedback about it! :smile: Cool. I'll try find a route that packs in as many climbs as possible. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to it :smile:
Or alternatively, if your struggling for climbs plan a ride with prolonged periods of headwind. Resistance is resistance at the end of the day.

Top Bottom