Maratona Dolomiti. Nothing better in this world!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Just back from my third Maratona and have to spread the word about this outSTANDing event. There's no better event on planet earth than this beauty in the Italian Dolomites.

It was the 25th anniversary event this time and boy have they learned how to organise a spectacular event. For the £60 entry fee we got; closed roads; 9,000 fellow cycling aficionados; a very well manufactured ss Maratona cycling top; a Maratona cycling gilet; your bike number containing chip which was activated at start, finish and all summits (this info was then immediately sent to your phone by text telling you your current time and position); the choice of a Maratona cap or 10 euro at the finish; THE most stunning course imaginable in the incredible setting of the incomparable Dolomites; unlimited food and drink at seven feed stations en-route; unlimited pasta, chips, cake, meat and beer at the finish; a goodie bag containing gels, energy bars, a waterproof mobile-phone covering, a buff, a small bottle of celebratory Proseco and other stuff such as mags, literature and advice sheets; superb photographs at various points around the route; a comprehensive results service informing you of position, age-group positions and finishing order. Puts the money foolishly given to 'Bike Events' to shame really.

This is an incredibly tough event. The climbs are not always as steep as around where I live but they go on and on and on. In one case, the climb is over seven MILES long with NO respite! The real toughy though is the last climb of the day over Falzarego pass. Six miles long, no respite and no shade from the fierce sun of the day. And despite getting older, I knocked ten minutes off my time of two years ago and nearly half an hour off my 2007 time. Well chuffed with that.

Seriously, I cannot imagine a better event than this exists in this world.

Alun

Guru
BUT... you missed the Manchester/Blackpool ride ! :whistle:

U

User169

Really want to do this one. My old boss has riden it a few times and is equally enthusiastic.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Really want to do this one. My old boss has riden it a few times and is equally enthusiastic.

Do it. I seriously recommend it without reservation. There were hundreds there from Holland. Hundreds and hundreds. We had a minor crash with a van driven by a Dutch guy and they had a van full of Dutch mates all in the event. I had to wonder how they coped as well as they did considering some of the brutal climbs when they must all have trained in Holland!

U

User169

Right-oh. 1 July 2012 is in the diary!

Lack of hills is obviously a bit of prob here; did 100km last weekend and changed gear twice!

zaid

Well done on your time, you did it a lot quicker than me. I was over 6 hours (including stops).
And your right about Falzarego, it was a real killer climb but I'm hoping to do the Passo Giau aswell next year.
I totally agree on the event, nothing even comes close. :biggrin:

VamP

Banned
Looks and sounds brilliant!

Here's something to tempt the GF into an Italian holiday for next year :whistle:

Now about gearing, triple or compact?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Great stuff Paul.

A couple of questions about your Garmin data ...

1. Your average heart rate was 134 bpm and your max was 152 bpm. I did a hilly 50 mile ride round here a few years back when I was pretty fit and my average was about 153 bpm and my max was 198 bpm. I know everybody's numbers are different, but yours seem quite low. What is your actual maximum heart rate? (Mine has probably dropped with age to 180-something now but I haven't measured it for years.)
  2. Your maximum speed was 40.6 mph. I would have thought that you'd go faster than that on those long descents. Do the roads get clogged up with other cyclists on an event of that scale or are you a bit nervous on fast descents? (If you are, I've never noticed when riding with you!)

Fiona N

Veteran
Glad you enjoyed it.

The Dolomites are one of my favourite places in the world - doesn't matter whether I'm climbing, cycling or running, they're always glorious :biggrin:

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Great stuff Paul.

A couple of questions about your Garmin data ...

1. Your average heart rate was 134 bpm and your max was 152 bpm. I did a hilly 50 mile ride round here a few years back when I was pretty fit and my average was about 153 bpm and my max was 198 bpm. I know everybody's numbers are different, but yours seem quite low. What is your actual maximum heart rate? (Mine has probably dropped with age to 180-something now but I haven't measured it for years.)
  2. Your maximum speed was 40.6 mph. I would have thought that you'd go faster than that on those long descents. Do the roads get clogged up with other cyclists on an event of that scale or are you a bit nervous on fast descents? (If you are, I've never noticed when riding with you!)

I have an abnormally low pulse rate. Always have had even before I took up any sort of sport. Had my wife not been with me in the A&E after my heroic dive into the floor last year. things could have had a different outcome. My resting pulse is about 42 awake and drops to around 32 when asleep. I have absolutely no idea what my maximum is and have no desire to find out.

The maximum speed is determined by the turny-twisty course coupled with the number of other cyclists, not just those in front, but the ones who are very used to dozens of hairpins on each descent. They are my big worry as they tend to be easy to pass going uphill but coming down they are whizzing past left, right and bloody centre! Ian Parr, the Cycling Weekly guru of this event strongly advises all his stable to stick resolutely to the middle on all descents so that's what I did.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have an abnormally low pulse rate. Always have had even before I took up any sort of sport. Had my wife not been with me in the A&E after my heroic dive into the floor last year. things could have had a different outcome. My resting pulse is about 42 awake and drops to around 32 when asleep. I have absolutely no idea what my maximum is and have no desire to find out.
Interesting!

I had a very wide heart rate range when I was fit. The lowest RHR I got down to was 32 bpm. That was lying in bed just after waking up. I reckon it is probably up in the mid-50s now on waking but I haven't checked it for ages.

I think my 198 bpm was very close to the then maximum. I achieved that going up that steep climb at Thursden into a headwind and I was very close to cracking so it couldn't have gone much higher.

The maximum speed is determined by the turny-twisty course coupled with the number of other cyclists, not just those in front, but the ones who are very used to dozens of hairpins on each descent. They are my big worry as they tend to be easy to pass going uphill but coming down they are whizzing past left, right and bloody centre! Ian Parr, the Cycling Weekly guru of this event strongly advises all his stable to stick resolutely to the middle on all descents so that's what I did.
That would really worry me! It was bad enough having evilclive and his missus blast past on the tandem on our Dales ride, but to have people streaming past on both sides would make me very nervous.

I had a mate dive past me on the inside of a bend once and I nearly ended up hitting the dry stone wall on the other side of the road!

Top Bottom