Marin Palisades Trail c2000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazzyt66

Regular
0484AA45-135D-45FF-8E9C-AD454354D095.png
Picked this up on eBay yesterday for £9.99 from a guy just across town. Amazingly light bike for the age with plenty of potential for upgrade - although at the moment she is in a bit of a sorry state after being in a garage for 10 years or so...

Anyway, she gets a full stripdown and clean today so I can see what I’m dealing with, although on first looks a clean and re-cabling with a couple of tyres will get her functioning pretty quickly.

Already I’m thinking of putting a disk hub on the front as I have some Clark’s M2 brakes I could use. If I do the back I’d have to use a frame adapter as it only has v mounts. Does anyone have any experience of fitting these? Will it be ok on the alu frame? I don’t think the a2z version would fit on her from what I’ve read but are the cheaper alternatives you can get from Amazon etc any good as they seem really easy to fit so would be a good upgrade (as well as the hub obvs)?

Anyway, pretty excited about getting her trail ready

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Very nice, I’ve got a similar Marin Muirwoods, steel frame, of a similar age with the same fork.
Nothing wrong with V Brakes BTW.

OP
OP
Dazzyt66

Dazzyt66

Regular
Very nice, I’ve got a similar Marin Muirwoods, steel frame, of a similar age with the same fork.
Nothing wrong with V Brakes BTW.

Yeah, I have v brakes on some of my other bikes, I just like the M2s they are great brakes for the money - I may just go for front disk and v rear.... but equally I don’t really want to change the original Ritchey rims unless I have to, and to replace the front hub would cost £20ish for the disk hub, but then it’s a wheel rebuild....

After first test run today I think I’ll stick with the v! They work great. May invest in some new ones at some point...

Last edited:
View attachment 474487 Picked this up on eBay yesterday for £9.99 from a guy just across town. Amazingly light bike for the age with plenty of potential for upgrade - although at the moment she is in a bit of a sorry state after being in a garage for 10 years or so...

Anyway, she gets a full stripdown and clean today so I can see what I’m dealing with, although on first looks a clean and re-cabling with a couple of tyres will get her functioning pretty quickly.

Already I’m thinking of putting a disk hub on the front as I have some Clark’s M2 brakes I could use. If I do the back I’d have to use a frame adapter as it only has v mounts. Does anyone have any experience of fitting these? Will it be ok on the alu frame? I don’t think the a2z version would fit on her from what I’ve read but are the cheaper alternatives you can get from Amazon etc any good as they seem really easy to fit so would be a good upgrade (as well as the hub obvs)?

Anyway, pretty excited about getting her trail ready
Bargain :okay:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Yeah, I have v brakes on some of my other bikes, I just like the M2s they are great brakes for the money - I may just go for front disk and v rear.... but equally I don’t really want to change the original Ritchey rims unless I have to, and to replace the front hub would cost £20ish for the disk hub, but then it’s a wheel rebuild....
You’ve probably got Ritchey Rock wheels, they are excellent, really strong, I wouldn’t change them.
You’ve bagged a real bargain there!

OP
OP
Dazzyt66

Dazzyt66

Regular

Absobloominlutely!

You’ve probably got Ritchey Rock wheels, they are excellent, really strong, I wouldn’t change them.
You’ve bagged a real bargain there!

It has indeed got the Ritchey Rocks. The rear wheel had one broken spoke right on the hub, my LBS has said I can get a replacement but I’ve managed to create a small hook at where it was broken so it stays in the hub, tightened it up and it’s been great. I’ve been on a test run with it a moment ago. I LOVE IT! Works like a dream and all I’ve done so far is clean and lube it and fit new inner tubes. I’ll replace the spoke tomorrow and the wheel should be fine then when it’s trued back up.

Nice, I had one of those around 1993 without suspension fork, a brilliant lightweight bike.

I really can’t believe how good it is. Just needs some more TLC but then is gonna become my regular run about!

Very nice and a great bargain for sure

It really really was, it even had the original saddle (in perfect condition!) hiding under the gel cover. Even the original tires are ok but I’ve got Schwalbe black jacks to go on it tomorrow. Definitely the best £10 I have ever spent. Ever! Lol

So, progress so far post first test ride...

B4D7E936-FABF-4295-AA7B-22AE0881A6B2.jpeg

OP
OP
Dazzyt66

Dazzyt66

Regular
The Ovation crankset is original equipment on those!

Yeah, in fact, everything on it (apart from the mudguards and gel seat cover) is as it was originally purchased as new I think - even the brake pads are original and the rims are as good as new now they’re cleaned up. Amazing find! I picked up a spoke from my LBS today so she’s up and running proper. Took her out for a spin - it’s as good as new! Love it!

Top Bottom