Marin Point Reyes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Anyone got a LBS that stocks these, pref. darn sarf and even more pref. SW. Wanna have a look at one. Looking on the interweb, the US version (which is different, to be fair) is $799 and the UK one is £899! That's a big difference, innit? :ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
everything costs more here, with the dollar rate at present that's a huge difference in price, suspect there has to be some major differences in spec etc

Tynan

Veteran
google tells me cyclesurgery stock it, Spitalfields is as far south as they go it seems

sarf what? London?

always seems to me that there's loads of good bike shops in south london

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
I'm in Wiltshire, so Wilts, Dorset, Hants, Gloucs or Somerset would be preferable. Sometimes I wish I still lived in the home counties, so all those London bike shops were just a travelcard away! :tongue:

Tynan

Veteran
ah

I hardly know where Wiltshire is, sorry

if your heart is set on one then you're going to make an effort I suspect

there must be good shops out there surely?

keepontriking

Stonehenge Cycles in Salisbury is an excellent shop, run by real cyclists. They deal with Marins - I obtained a Muirwoods through them fairly recently. Service is excellent. I must admit to cheating by looking at bikes in London shops then ordering through Stonehenge.
01722 334915

Another is GA Cycles in Southampton which always seems to have quite a few Marins in stock. Again run by bikies and I can highly recommended them.
02380 636648

Regrettably neither have very good websites.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Thanks for the info so far. Might have to take a trip up the Smoke?

I know Stonehenge Cycles, but it's not that big a shop, is it? Might pop down there Monday and have a look anyways.

keepontriking

That's exactly what we did.
We visited Condors, Cycle Surgery, BikeFix and several others, looking at various models and collecting advice.
We then did the dirty trick of ordering through the local LBS (Stonehenge). It took only a few days to arrive and they also made several alterations such as rack, guards, and so on.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
I assume you must be Ringwood/Fordingbridge sort of way if you're in Hants and your LBS is in Salisbury?

I was in my local Halfrauds last night looking at the Boardman hybrids, which seemed very nice, but for the fact that they looked like they'd been assembled by a blind monkey. You could move the fork steerer up and down in the head tube and the hydraulic lines for the brakes were twisted and kinked. The thought of riding one of these frightens me!

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Went to Stonehenge Cycles today. I wish I was mill-yunair. They had so many nice fings in there, I've never seen so much carbon fibre in one room!

The Point Reyes and the next model down are not available 'til March. :biggrin:

I wanted a flat barred commuter type bike, but preferred the MTB style look of 26" wheels rather than 700C ones (I must be old-fashioned). I think only Marin and Scott make these, so I'm a bit limited in choice unless I start to find some love for the bigger wheeled bikes.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
simonali said:
Went to Stonehenge Cycles today.

The Point Reyes and the next model down are not available 'til March. :becool:

I now suspect I was told this as a way of steering me into buying something else, so Stonehenge are now off my christmas card list!

Point Reyes is unavailable i.e. sold out for the year and the Novato is available, so they told me porky pies, mefinks.

I 've had a Giant Escape M0 for a few months. I ;) everytime I open the garage door.

simonali said:
I wanted a flat barred commuter type bike, but preferred the MTB style look of 26" wheels rather than 700C ones (I must be old-fashioned). I think only Marin and Scott make these, so I'm a bit limited in choice unless I start to find some love for the bigger wheeled bikes.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Now ya tell me!

Have to be honest and say that I completely forgot to look at the Giant bikes. Stonehenge Cycles are a Giant dealer and they failed to mention that model despite me telling them what I was after. Becoming less impressed with them by the minute. They don't seem to know their brands all that well!

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
I went in the Avon Valley Cyclery in Bath yesterday just to have a mooch around and they turned out to be a rather well stocked Marin dealer with virtually the whole range in stock! You would never guess this from their website as there's no mention of the brand as far as I can see!

They had a 17" Point Reyes in stock, but I took a little comfort in the fact that, on closer inspection, it turned out to be a 2007 model. Still nice though. :smile:

Top Bottom