Mark Beaumont again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickC

The question is, is he doing it for love of cycling, or rather because there will be TV cameras present throughout his journey? I only ask because, at the end of his round-the-world record-breaker, he was quoted as saying words to the effect that whatever he does next it certainly won't be on a bike (i.e. I've had enough of bloody cycling).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
NickC said:
The question is, is he doing it for love of cycling, or rather because there will be TV cameras present throughout his journey? I only ask because, at the end of his round-the-world record-breaker, he was quoted as saying words to the effect that whatever he does next it certainly won't be on a bike (i.e. I've had enough of bloody cycling).

At the age of 12 he cycled across Scotland (Dundee to Oban), at 15 did LE-JOG, then after cycling 18,000 miles in 276 days he make a joke and you take it seriously?

Joe

Über Member
Saddle sores healed up then!:eek:
I'm sure I remember reading an interview or something where he said his next adventure would be something completely different, and he didn't seem to be joking...

Isla Valassi

Veteran
His next adventure had something to do with rowing the Atlantic? The plan was shelved due to major malfunction with the boat during testing.....it sank I believe! Hence the cycling expedition.

jags

Guru
ah i love this guy he's a bloody good (great) cyclists,and really expert in all things touring.im really looking forward to seening his next big adventure,has to be great for all us cycling heads.

Isla Valassi

Veteran
Just in case any of you missed it, James Bowthorpe is currently out on the road looking break Mark's record. Interestingly he is using a belt drive system on his Santos machine.
http://www.youtube.com/globecycleguy
http://whereintheworldisjames.com/
http://www.globecycle.org/

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I saw the Iran/Pakistan/India leg of Mr Beaumont's trip on BBC News 24 last night: yet another advert for the Rohloff hub! Shame he didn't get a British built tourer though (he was using what looked like a Koga Miyate World Traveller).

NickC

Hairy Jock said:
after cycling 18,000 miles in 276 days he make a joke and you take it seriously?

BBC News Channel, 21 February 2008:

"Once I have recovered I will set myself a new challenge," he said. "I don't know where that will take me - but it won't be on a bicycle."

No offence intended; I have nothing but respect for Mr Beaumont's achievements, but this didn't sound/look like a joke. So I was simply wondering, in view of his remark, whether he would be doing it (rather than something else) if the TV people weren't there and eager to capitalise on his fame as a cyclist. Is that so unreasonable?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hairy Jock said:
At the age of 12 he cycled across Scotland (Dundee to Oban), at 15 did LE-JOG, then after cycling 18,000 miles in 276 days he make a joke and you take it seriously?

Ok maybe he wasn't joking, but look at his track record, this man is a serious cyclist....

yenrod

If id just rode round the bleedin world id say - 'the bike is that last thing on my mind...' !

All the best to him I say !!!

Top Bottom