Mark Forums Read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It could have been worse.

You could be in IKEA.
there are times, even when it is a Saturday, that being in Ikea is a better option than being with a farting dog trying to rebuild a stubborn computer.
@ColinJ I can't remember what the command is, but there is one that will cancel that forced chkdsk..... but that might not help you much.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did F5/F8 and have managed to start System Restore from System Recovery Options. It has been running for quite a few minutes now and I am getting nervous that something might have gone wrong, though the HDD does seem to be very busy so perhaps it is actually doing something useful ...

The good news is that the dog has run out of wind. The bad news is that I am about to reload him! :laugh:

Still, we should get our own back later - when the Ikea victims shoppers return, we are going to load ourselves with takeaway curries. No doubt the dog will be moaning on CanineChat later about his stinky owners! :okay:

PS Ooh, the Restore is 'Finalizing' Now 'Finishing'. Now 'Finished'!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh, damn, after all that I got a popup box with 'unspecified error' again. Pardon me while I try to grow some more hair to pull out ...!

Ha ha ... and now it is repairing itself and ...

It now says that it restored the system back to yesterday. If that is true, then I am now back to where I was before I actually started trying to fix the damn thing!

Oh FFS ... same error!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell you what, rather than giving you a running update, I'll EVENTUALLY tell you what I did to fix it! :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks.

The dog has been banished back to my nephew's house!

I finally got the laptop back to where I started from earlier today by starting it in Safe Mode with a command prompt and running sfc /scannow as suggested by someone, somewhere! It reported finding some corrupted system files, which it repaired.

I am just running a full anti-virus scan now. I hope the progress dial is lagging behind because it has taken about 15 minutes to reach 1% complete! Ah, it suddenly jumped to 4%. Still, at that rate it could still take about 6 hours to complete. Ha - now 7%! 8%.

Top Bottom