Market Research on Anti-Theft Device - Built in GPS

Would this type of product appeal to you?

• Yes, this product appeals to me.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Yes, but only after weighing up features/price/design etc (Please Comment)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No, this product does not appeal to me.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No, however if certain features are present I might change my mind. (Please Comment)

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jduffy

Hi all,

I'm doing a project for university which will hope to implement a GPS into a bicycle in a discrete fashion.

I know similar products have been developed and are on the market currently, however we feel that several improvements can be made on current designs as well as our product being to be powered by renewable energy.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I would be a willing customer to the IntegratedTracker's Spy Bike Seatpost but I have been put off by the lack of communication and the site seemingly always stating it's shipping x months ago. Experience of that sort of communication puts me off as a consumer, as it has often been mirrored in the after sales experience for other products.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
SpyBike stuff made the ongoing charges seem extremely economical. Can't see that you'll need to be sending/receiving a lot of data, especially under not-stolen conditions.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would be interested to know how this device will be powered and how it will get a GPS signal when the stolen bike is stored inside. I would also be interested to know how it stops the bike being stolen.

simongt

Guru
If you display a sticker stating ' This cycle has a tracker device fitted ' etc., etc., in a attempt to put them off, then the thief will quickly disable / remove it, as there are a very limited number of places that a tracker can be installed in / on a bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
I would be interested to know how this device will be powered and how it will get a GPS signal when the stolen bike is stored inside. I would also be interested to know how it stops the bike being stolen.
If you display a sticker stating ' This cycle has a tracker device fitted ' etc., etc., in a attempt to put them off, then the thief will quickly disable / remove it, as there are a very limited number of places that a tracker can be installed in / on a bike.
Had one fitted inside the frame of a Pashley Classic No.33. Outside it was trackable. Inside, modern steel type warehouse, the signal was lost. Battery life was just over a year. Expanding foam stopped it rattling.
Last known place of use was on the North Wales Coast(Around Colwyn Bay, sea front), with the last known location being just outside the port of Holyhead.

Getting the police involved was impossible, how will this one differ in preventing a bike being pinched? They'd to dismantle the front end to get it away.

OP
OP
J

Jduffy

Thanks for the feedback guys!
In what way is it Anti Theft? How does it stop the bike being half inched?
It's going to have a tracker that will alert the owner the moment the bike is lifted/handled/touched roughly (i.e You'll know someone is touching the bike before they've got a chance to break your lock off)
[QUOTE 4140015, member: 45"]It will be too expensive, with ongoing charges as well.[/QUOTE]
Depends what the value of the bike is, and consider discounted insurance when you've got a built in tracker

It's a 'semi-new' technology involving vibration after an initial charge, touching the bike would essentially put a charge on the battery.

classic33

Leg End Member
A tricycle marked POA(Price On Application) isn't going to be cheap.
Left & used, although securely! locked!, outside when you're not there, will have the battery run down in no time. How will it work around that? Vibration based alarms used on two bikes, traffic from nearby roads set them off.
How will the tracking actualy differ from what is already on the market?

Dannz

Regular
I looked at what's available and decided I'm better off making one myself - designed to fit inside seat post and using GPRS, GPS module, accelerometer, BLE, wifi and long-range transceiver. It needs to be accurate enough to pinpoint the exact address, otherwise police can't get a search warrant (which is why most of what's on the market is useless). I'm aiming for it to be accurate to 2.5m horizontally and 20cm vertically (to deal with block of flats or tower block) - and when Galileo comes into service, it will give even better accuracy. I also want it to be useful for logging rides etc. and be able to calibrate the vibration switch to adjust for road vibration etc. Battery life should be about 4 years on single 9g AA sized Lipo battery. Ends up costing less than £30 for chips and components - cheaper than buying a cheap Chinese GPS locator that isn't up to much and isn't customisable - e.g. I may add a small 95db siren that can be triggered by SMS for when get to the door. Aim is for it to be no more than 30g inc. battery and antennas.

What would have big appeal would be a locator which let's the user electrocute the thief remotely - that really would stand out.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I looked at what's available and decided I'm better off making one myself - designed to fit inside seat post and using GPRS, GPS module, accelerometer, BLE, wifi and long-range transceiver. It needs to be accurate enough to pinpoint the exact address, otherwise police can't get a search warrant (which is why most of what's on the market is useless). I'm aiming for it to be accurate to 2.5m horizontally and 20cm vertically (to deal with block of flats or tower block) - and when Galileo comes into service, it will give even better accuracy. I also want it to be useful for logging rides etc. and be able to calibrate the vibration switch to adjust for road vibration etc. Battery life should be about 4 years on single 9g AA sized Lipo battery. Ends up costing less than £30 for chips and components - cheaper than buying a cheap Chinese GPS locator that isn't up to much and isn't customisable - e.g. I may add a small 95db siren that can be triggered by SMS for when get to the door. Aim is for it to be no more than 30g inc. battery and antennas.

What would have big appeal would be a locator which let's the user electrocute the thief remotely - that really would stand out.

If you could bring those thoughts to reality you could make a lot of money,

Top Bottom