Marlborough day ride suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Heading down to Marlborough, Wilts, tomorrow for a few days and am taking the CX just in case.
Has anyone got any suggestions for routes between 20 (hillier) and 70 (flatter) miles?
I have devised a route to Cherhill and back (30sh miles) that will take about 5 hours (I think). It goes Free's Ave, Barton Down, Manton Down, Herepath/Wessex Ridgeway, Yatesbury, Juggler's Lane, Cherhill, Cherhill Down, Calstone Down, Wessex Ridgeway to just west of Morgan's Hill, back east along Wansdyke Path, A361 to Beckhampton, onto southern bit of Avebury, West Kennet, the Sanctuary, north on the Ridgeway, Herepath/Wessex Ridgeway to just shy of Manton Down, south east past the gallops, Manton, Marlborough. Or would you recommend doing that in reverse?
Hopefully won't get too lost ^_^

Heading down to Marlborough, Wilts, tomorrow for a few days and am taking the CX just in case.
Has anyone got any suggestions for routes between 20 (hillier) and 70 (flatter) miles?
I have devised a route to Cherhill and back (30sh miles) that will take about 5 hours (I think). It goes Free's Ave, Barton Down, Manton Down, Herepath/Wessex Ridgeway, Yatesbury, Juggler's Lane, Cherhill, Cherhill Down, Calstone Down, Wessex Ridgeway to just west of Morgan's Hill, back east along Wansdyke Path, A361 to Beckhampton, onto southern bit of Avebury, West Kennet, the Sanctuary, north on the Ridgeway, Herepath/Wessex Ridgeway to just shy of Manton Down, south east past the gallops, Manton, Marlborough. Or would you recommend doing that in reverse?

Depending on what time you get to Marlbs i'd suggest emailing the local club Marlborough CC see if they have anything later in the day other than their 7am Sat club ride, failing that a small group of my club Home (pewseyvelo.cc) are riding the Alton Barnes to Ashbury section of the King Alfreds Way route on Sunday 9am starting from Honey Street Cafe home 2022 - (honeystreetmillcafe.co.uk) you are more than welcome to join us, we're planning 50/50 off road KAW and then back on road by one of our regular road ride routes (all downhill) it'll be a mix of gravel and MTB riders.

Pewsey Velo CC Sat ride is 8am on Sat. from Pewsey and usually does in 2-3 hours in the Vale area, pace is mixed depending on attendance.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Failing that take a look at our websites between us we have lots of good local routes ...there will be hills :okay:

Thank you 👍
Would love to have slowed you down on Sunday ^_^ but will be doing a family outing.
Monday and Tuesday are the likely days - or late Saturday arvo. Due to arrive circa 5:00 pm - so may be able to sneak a quick one in. Would the C & M Railway Path make a suitable spin after 6 or more hours in the car?

Cathryn

Legendary Member

That route sounds good. Be wary on the a361, it’s fast and busy!

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Had a play around the Kennet & Savernake this morningish & this evening went west then a quick blat to the south before the close passes up the hills in the woods frit me too much.
Have taken some pics to adorn various threads on here.
I am curious about something. I saw reason able numbers of riders out and about, mostly around retirement age, and there are even bicycles used for advertising cafes etc, but I didn't spot any bike shops. Marlborough was the only sizeable place I passed through. It had a few bike racks, but that seemed to be about it.
The riding is quite fun away from the roads, though a few tracks just ended at dead ends.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Late to this but I have a there-and-back route from Winchester to Marlborough through the North Wessex Downs, through Great Bedwyn, Savernake (as off road as I ever get!) and down in the town. While you wouldn’t need to head that far down south, there‘s plenty of decent on and off road riding around places like Vernham Dean, Ashmansworth, Faccombe, Combe Gibbet etc.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Had a play around the Kennet & Savernake this morningish & this evening went west then a quick blat to the south before the close passes up the hills in the woods frit me too much.
Have taken some pics to adorn various threads on here.
I am curious about something. I saw reason able numbers of riders out and about, mostly around retirement age, and there are even bicycles used for advertising cafes etc, but I didn't spot any bike shops. Marlborough was the only sizeable place I passed through. It had a few bike racks, but that seemed to be about it.
The riding is quite fun away from the roads, though a few tracks just ended at dead ends.

Marlborough is the only bike shop for miles. Amesbury has one 20 miles to the south, Devizes has a very basic one, Swindon has one to the north. It’s very rural here.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Managed to get into the top 10 yesterday for a local 10 km loop, which probably shows how few people use it, especially as I stopped to take loads of pics.
The local gravel is amazing compared to our bit of the Pennines.
Today was meant to be my bike day but the morn has been inclement & I have got a dose of the snots. May have a play in Savernake this arvo...

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Last night I squeezed in final ride on the fast gravel in Savernake, actually managed over a 1000 ft ascent in over 10 miles and found the column the fella in the bike shop couldn't find on Google. Total fluke but I found it.
Not going to have the opportunity for any more rides 😢

Top Bottom