Your feelings on Marmite?

• Love it

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Actually, I am quite indifferent to it

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

gavintc said:
So wrong. I think it even tastes different.

Not to me. Perhaps your expectations were different enough to have an effect on your taste receptors. That or you have to remember NOT to eat the jar:biggrin::biggrin:

Abitrary

I like the idea of marmite, in that I like weird food in general.

However, I don't see the point of it as a foodstuff. It's got no bulk or nutritional value like cheese or ham. Plus it's difficult to spread to an even consistency.

I fear it might in fact be nothing more than a curious affectation.

rikki

Legendary Member
First, a vote for vegemite. Obviously.

gavintc said:
So wrong. I think it even tastes different.

It is wrong. I'm sure it tastes different. The stuff in squeeze bottles or tubes has things added to it to make it run properly. Honey in squeeze bottles is wrong too. Read the labels to check what's in it.

Abitrary said:
However, I don't see the point of it as a foodstuff. It's got no bulk or nutritional value like cheese or ham. Plus it's difficult to spread to an even consistency.

Yeast extract is supposedly full of vitamin B. I don't know if I really need extra vitamin B though.

davidwalton

abchandler said:
Simply solved. Mix the required amount of butter/marg with the marmite prior to spreading. Even texture, delicious.

With toast, all butter should have melted before adding Marmite, so spreading Marmite should be an issue. On bread, use less butter. I found it then spreads just fine.:tongue::thumbsup:

Renard said:
Yes but I think my poll was radically different with the extra option :tongue::smile:
:blush:
Perhaps 'Radical' is another 'option' (for some) :biggrin:.

Abitrary said:
I like the idea of marmite, in that I like weird food in general.

I fear it might in fact be nothing more than a curious affectation.

But, but, it's full of 'good things'
2008_0320Marmite20002.jpg

OK I know that's not yer actual Marmite (but it's very similar), and as rikki pointed out it has plenty of vitamin B in and that's supposed to be good at keeping mozzies off one (if one gets enough) 'cos mozzies don't like vit B :tongue:.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Abitrary said:
Plus it's difficult to spread to an even consistency.

Surely you see the attraction of eating toast and then suddenly happening upon a larger concentration of marmite in one bite?

The unpredictability!

The frisson!

radger

Veteran
I will eat marmite from the jar with a (small) spoon. And when I have it on toast, the marmite:toast ratio causes some considerable consternation amongst normal people

(As an aside, I reckon of the haters I know, most are blokes. Anecdote - it's a great substitute for actual research)