1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mars Soil Is 'Too Clumpy' Shocker!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by tdr1nka, 8 Jun 2008.

1. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

It's Official, Mars is 'too clumpy'!

They're having more luck with this lander than others before it but still, you'd have thought some bod might have factored in 'clumpiness' somewhere in the remit?

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

If you want something done, do it yourself!
    Just can't get the staff, nowadays! :biggrin:

3. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

like i say, all the fellas with mtbs will be laughing when we all have to emigrate there due to climate change.

4. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Hilarious - billions of dollars, a successful landing, and they've fitted the wrong sized sieve to the analysis machine!

Clumpy soil eh? They should've taken some bulk organic matter along with them to open out the structure a bit. A few big bags of spent mushroom compost would have gone down a treat. They'll never grow decent carrots like that.

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I think they were after some nice Red Desirees on Mars;)

6. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

It's simple - water is causing the clumping.........problem solved.

7. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

or oil!
    no must be water they haven't invaded:biggrin:

8. Mort

Typical - what do you expect from a country that calls soil "dirt"?

If they'd let us do it with Beagle 3 there'd have been none of this nonsense - it would just have burned up on entry. Job sorted.

9. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

I'm pretty sure that NASA have already done a study into potential means of transport on mars, and most traditional bicycles have been ruled out due to the vastly different gravity ratio.

I saw a diagram of something that looked like a 3 wheel recumbent, steel framed to take the force of the gravity. Suspension forks are a no-no because they'd be constantly bottoming out due to the G.

10. Mort

But did it have mudguards? :biggrin:

11. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

I liked the fact that after the landing the news announced 'fantastic new images of Mars', then showed us pictures that looks exactly the same as every other picture of Mars you've ever seen!

12. Mars Pipers.. ;)

13. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

That being the 'Mars Piper At The Gates Of Dawn'?

14. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Shouldn't that be Clumpyguards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Night Train

Night Train Guest

If it is water, and that is quite likely, then that will be an amazing discovery. Water that accessible on the surface will mean that it would be possible to plan manned landings.