Martial Arts Experts - Clubs ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim_Noir

Wigsie said:
I used to love the training in the JCVD movies

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qknZ8ISUPps

my brother and I used to re-inact them in the garden! how we didnt injure ourselves more i will never know.

LOL that's a classic
The boy on the bike needs to get his tyres pumped up:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3k0IKZQJCg

Hoever, forget any Bruce Lee movie, this is the greatest fight scence on film:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MJpDwJ8sEo&feature=related

Slim

Über Member
£25 for the license and £6 per session is a bit steep.

The club my eldest goes to costs £12 for the license plus £4 per session. Cheap bearing in mind his teacher is Steve Arneil.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Wigsie said:
Whats wrong with the Oriental bonsai tree trimmer/janitor that lives next door? he will fix your sons BMX then teach him the crane!
My Dad looks like Mr Miyagi.
I've been teasing him about it as we were watching Karate Kid on TV. Well, being Father's day one has to do that!;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jim_Noir said:
Then joined a boxing gym and got a real lesson on defending yourself... IE I got a right battering from a lad I was sparing with. IMHO a lot of karate clubs* are aimed at kids, not a bad thing as it kids you are sending, but it is all basic stuff. If it's wanting them to be able to defend themself then judo or Ju Jitsu would be worth a look... then if they really want something for fitness and they want to compete then boxing or Muay Thai.... Or get them into MMA send them to the USA to amke you big bucks :welcome:
:ohmy:

Echoes my own experience - I wasn't battered at the club I joined after my traditional training (never made black belt tho) but it did show in a quite marked way where the holes in my training was.

IMO, "proper" training is probably better for kids, if it's done right, as they won't be stood in lines doing the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER. If I had to choose something for my two (not that their interested atm) it'd be judo, as at least they get to roll as part of their training.

MickL

Über Member
Licence is a must because of the cover it offers, all so it doesnt hurt to ask to the see the instructors insurance(it should be indemnity one covering instructors), clubs asking to paid upfront for a licence sounds iffy to me, Whats the club name and what association do they belong to ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The usual form (or at least, it used to be) was taster lessons, then you pay your fees to join. (This is 4 or 5 years ago though, so things may have moved on).

People used to say that asking for money up front (before you've been in a lesson) is a bit of a red flag.

MickL

Über Member
colinr said:
Sounds about right to me. Martial arts isn't a cheap hobby in my experience.

I would agree, but it depends on the length of the lesson, I pay £5 but its two hours so £2.50 an hour is cheap enough, but if its £6 for a 45min-1 hour lesson I would walk away.

giantscr2.0

I am a Tae Kwon-Do Instructor. I would be suspicious of any club asking for a licence fee upfront.
I belong to a large association and our policy is all new students must complete a licence application form within the first 6 weeks. This way new students will have been to several lessons so they should have a good idea if they are going to continue training.
I also give all new students 3 free lessons after that £3 per lesson which lasts for 1 hour.

I hope everything works out OK for you

MickL

Über Member
I can speak to people if you can get the name of the instructor and Association they belong to, There use to be a spat of Karate clubs opening up, and having Purple belts teaching, taking the licence fee's and then teaching for a while then close the club down. They all ways went round knocking on doors to drum up interest. So I would all ways double check.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
Not sure of the style - it's Red Dragon Karate. Don't worry, I'll be asking for a copy of the licence
Foss, how old is the younger Fossy?

My nieces (or one of them) does Karate, I think, I can ask which club it is - probably local to you as they live in Gatley.

Top Bottom