Martial Arts for the over 40's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
At the age of 40 I've just taken up Choi Kwang Do, it's something I've wanted to do for years and never had the nerve to walk into a class then a new guy starts at my work who happens to run his own school, result!!:biggrin:
I did Tai Chi for a while a few years back and really enjoyed it, but I had to stop when we moved out of the area and have missed it ever since.
Are there any other 40+ CycleChatters practicing martial arts?

Iaido, and I want to get back into Aikido, but there isn't a local school.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just watch you don't take a wallop in the knees..... my son does Karate....his instructor is always asking dads and moms... nope - not getting my knees walloped.

atbman

Veteran
I practice an esoteric form of martial arts which enable me to travel along the road in a state of near invisibility, called cy-kling.

It is part of the wu-shing school. I ride to the top of a long steep hill, really give it some welly and go-wu shing down at high speed

OP
OP
Enso108

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
fossyant said:
Just watch you don't take a wallop in the knees..... my son does Karate....his instructor is always asking dads and moms... nope - not getting my knees walloped.
Thanks for the advice I'll try and avoid getting my knee's walloped.
"You can punch me in the face, just please don't wallop my knees" :biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Indeed.

When I was in my early 40's I was practising karate and dislocated my knee cap after being (accidentally) kicked in the knee - definitely the most painful thing ever to happen to me.

However martial arts are incredibly good for fitness, stamina, and keeping your body flexible so by all means give it a go.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, I thought it was about marital arts! :blush:

OP
OP
Enso108

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
Dannyg said:
Indeed.

When I was in my early 40's I was practising karate and dislocated my knee cap after being (accidentally) kicked in the knee - definitely the most painful thing ever to happen to me.

However martial arts are incredibly good for fitness, stamina, and keeping your body flexible so by all means give it a go.

I just lifted this off the internet regarding Choi Kwang Do;
The system is meant for all individuals who want to learn real-life, practical self-defense skills and achieve a greater level of health and well-being, not people solely interested in winning trophies. Because it’s a non-contact, non-fighting, non-competitive art that stresses mental, physical, emotional and social development, Choi Kwang Do promotes non-violent resolutions to conflict, practical solutions to cardiovascular improvement, and enjoyable methods of exercise.

The fact that it's non-contact should greatly reduce the risk of injury, hopefully.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I see a couple of blokes looking as if they're swatting imaginary wasps in the park on my way to work. Each to his own and all that but they look a right pair of charlies. If I was going to do a martial art I'd at least want to be able to defend myself against muggers and fly through the air like Bruce Lee.

Top Bottom