Mason Revolution.....How did that happen ??!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Tripster

Great choice!

I've got a Bokeh. I experimented with flat pedals for a while, but have now gone back to clipless.

View attachment 557696

The customer service from Mason is really great should you ever have any problems.
Can I ask what frame size you went for ? I am going for a 56cm and I am a touch over 5ft 10”. Mason say thats the closest to the 55cm geometry of my Fratello I had

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Can I ask what frame size you went for ? I am going for a 56cm and I am a touch over 5ft 10”. Mason say thats the closest to the 55cm geometry of my Fratello I had

I'm 178 and went for a 56. My previous bike was a 55 Fratello!

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I'm 178 and went for a 56. My previous bike was a 55 Fratello!

That’s made me more confident. With lockdown and lack of test ride and bike fit I was a little worried. I had the fratello professionally fitted by a Condor dealer but got it in my head it was too small 🤷‍♂️. I am 177, 32 inside leg but long arms. Looks like I made right choice with the 56. Mason also said similar to yourself that a x2 group set is better for predominantly road riding or Audax.

footloose crow

Über Member
I thought the Masons actually look very good in black once I saw them in the flesh so to speak. I test rode a Resolution a few weeks ago and it was smooth and fast. The Definition (also by Mason) was faster and had very sharp reactions. I liked them both.

Think about a GRX drive set, prob 800 series if you want gearing for hills. That comes as 48/31 x 11/34. It shares a lot of ancestry with Ultegra. Mason would put a 48/31 on the front and Ultegra on the back for you if you ask.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I cant help thinking the definition is expensive for Aluminium though. Did you not test ride a Bokeh ? Most of their blog seems geared to that particular bike

footloose crow

Über Member
I cant help thinking the definition is expensive for Aluminium though. Did you not test ride a Bokeh ? Most of their blog seems geared to that particular bike
No I didn't. It's slower and David Arthur did a side to side test of the Bokeh with a Fairlight Strael and thought the Strael was better. I wanted a road bike that can cope with light gravel but not something that takes 45mm tyres. I took both the Definition and Resolution off road on my test ride down bridleways and cinder based cycle tracks and they coped extremely well. Both were better on that terrain than my current aluminium Cube Attain - even though I have Mavc gravel wheels and 32mm gravel tyres on it.

You can't tell the Def is aluminium. It rides like a carbon bike (fast, stiff, accelerates ) but with steel conformability and comfort. I liked it a lot.

Resolution (in grey as you said you preferred) on bridleway through woods. It got muddier than this further on.

The kind of place I take my bike now. Resolution would cope easily with this.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

No I didn't. It's slower and David Arthur did a side to side test of the Bokeh with a Fairlight Strael and thought the Strael was better. I wanted a road bike that can cope with light gravel but not something that takes 45mm tyres. I took both the Definition and Resolution off road on my test ride down bridleways and cinder based cycle tracks and they coped extremely well. Both were better on that terrain than my current aluminium Cube Attain - even though I have Mavc gravel wheels and 32mm gravel tyres on it.

You can't tell the Def is aluminium. It rides like a carbon bike (fast, stiff, accelerates ) but with steel conformability and comfort. I liked it a lot.

View attachment 557835
Resolution (in grey as you said you preferred) on bridleway through woods. It got muddier than this further on.

View attachment 557837
The kind of place I take my bike now. Resolution would cope easily with this.
Thank you Footloose for the pictures and reply. That Resolution looks beautiful in the Grey, just a bit different. And the tracks you went down are about the max I would take it as I have a Whyte 905 MTB for anything more.
I was thinking of sticking with 30mm G-One speed tyres tubeless and Ultegra. Cannot see clearly if the one you tested was Ultegra.
Again big thank you for taking time to post pics and reply. I like both bikes but at the price point think I will stick with the steel build as the weight difference and acceleration probably won’t make much difference to me as I age 😣

footloose crow

Über Member
Thank you Footloose for the pictures and reply. That Resolution looks beautiful in the Grey, just a bit different. And the tracks you went down are about the max I would take it as I have a Whyte 905 MTB for anything more.
I was thinking of sticking with 30mm G-One speed tyres tubeless and Ultegra. Cannot see clearly if the one you tested was Ultegra.
Again big thank you for taking time to post pics and reply. I like both bikes but at the price point think I will stick with the steel build as the weight difference and acceleration probably won’t make much difference to me as I age 😣
It was Ultegra. I also tested a Di2 version which was far too tempting!

Both test bikes used 30mm G1s and they were fine. Fast and grippy. I have specced Conti 5000 TLs on my new bike though as (if reviews are to be believed) they are apparently even better for punctures and faster. Being old too, I like faster, lighter bikes as they mean I can go the same speed as before but with less effort. Especially uphill.

Good luck with this new bike. Mason are brilliant to deal with and lovely people.

I have a 56 Definition (same geometry as the Resolution) and I'm 5' 11" - this put me in the middle range of the 56, according to their site sizing, and I did check with Mason before ordering. It fits well.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I have a 56 Definition (same geometry as the Resolution) and I'm 5' 11" - this put me in the middle range of the 56, according to their site sizing, and I did check with Mason before ordering. It fits well.

Thats 2 people in this thread for the definition !!! I must be the only steel frame purchaser from Mason 😊

OP
OP
T

Tripster

So good to hear all the positives for Mason and Mason bikes. Definition, Bokeh, Resolution all beautiful bikes I think.
I’m down to the last decision of tubed or tubeless & should I keep Ultegra or try the GRX ??

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'd personally go tubeless with the 30mm tyres and light off roading it makes sense.

As for groupset, again whilst it doesn't have the cachet of Ultegra, I'd go GRX, just for the fact it has technology like a clutched derailleur, which makes it much quieter and more suited for off road duties.

Lovely looking bike though, I do like the Mason stuff as well.

Venod

Eh up
Orange tape would look good 👍 here’s one of mine with it

Its good to see coloured bar tape, but I just can't pull it off, it always ends up grubby, on one bike I had brown leather and that ended up looking grubby, I have long since stopped trying and like shorts plain black is my only choice.

Top Bottom