Massive thank you for keeping me going!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpw

Hi guys,

This is a bit of a long story but i'll try and keep it short ^_^

I joined the site a couple of years ago to try and obtain as much info as i could regarding a trip down the the west coast of Africa that I was hoping to do earlier this year,
Last year I bought a new bike for the trip which as it turned out was totally unsuitable for the me, it was a fine bycycle though and very beautiful to look at (Cannondale CAADX cyclo cross) but I just couldn't get used to the drop bars and flippy flappy gear changers :biggrin:

Anyway, early this year my life was turned upside down when I became ill and was diagnosed with cancer, Chemo started mid March and is still an on going treatment until the end of August followed by a Pett scan some time towards the end of September and hopefully good news
Earlier this week i popped into the LBS where I purchased the Cannondale to discuss a px and they had an immaculate Dawes Kara kum which I took for a spin and it felt soo comfy and easy to ride and was equipped with all I needed we done a straight swap and they even through in a new B17
saddle so now I have a much more suitable bike for touring.

Obviously Africa would be out of the question as a destistnation for at least a year after treatment due to the risk of infection (my biggest fear at the moment) but I am sure I would be fine in France and the canal du midi seems quite appealing to me :becool: any thoughts on that?
I can't manage any hills at the moment, my legs just turn to jelly so wherever I go would need to be practically flat until my strength returns and obviously I would need tto fly there or take a train. I would like to go fairly soon after the scan and a couple of weeks would be more than enough, I just need to break :biggrin:

I look on the site practically everyday and really enjoy reading about other peoples adventures and it is this that I want to thank you for and maybe soon other people will enjoying be reading about some of mine ^_^

Huge thanks.......Tom the lurker :blush::blush:

snorri

Legendary Member
I am sure I would be fine in France and the canal du midi seems quite appealing to me :becool: any thoughts on that?
I can't manage any hills at the moment, my legs just turn to jelly so wherever I go would need to be practically flat until my strength returns and obviously I would need tto fly there or take a train.
I don't know the Canal du Midi, but have you considered any of the German river cycle routes (Radwegs) several of which would suit your no hills requirement? The Rhine Radweg is probably the most easily accessed from the UK, starting at the Hook of Holland, the point you get off the ferry from Harwich. There is a railway running parallel to the route for the most part, convenient for the outward or return leg. Ferries tend to be more cyclist friendly than flying.
All the best, whichever route you decide to take, getting away on a bike tour is a better tonic than most!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done parts of the canal du midi but not all. I seem to remember from others on here that some of it is not as well-surfaced as the rest. Someone will be along to advise you better.
All the best with your recovery and tour though.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I don't know the Canal du Midi, but have you considered any of the German river cycle routes (Radwegs) several of which would suit your no hills requirement? The Rhine Radweg is probably the most easily accessed from the UK, starting at the Hook of Holland, the point you get off the ferry from Harwich. There is a railway running parallel to the route for the most part, convenient for the outward or return leg. Ferries tend to be more cyclist friendly than flying.
All the best, whichever route you decide to take, getting away on a bike tour is a better tonic than most!

The Radwegs are certainly a good introduction to cycle touring. They are well signposted and there's plenty of facilities at regular intervals along them. I will be on the Danube Cycle Route from next Tuesday and will be pedalling from Passau to Budapest.
The Bikeline books are great guides for some of the Radwegs and the Danube and Rhine ones are great. The Rhine one is only available in German but it is useable.

The Bikeline books can be purchased from Amazon or Stanfords.

Google for Rhine cycle route and Danube cycle route to get a taste of what's on offer.

OP
OP
T

tpw

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I will look into it :smile: Wherever I decide to go easy
cycling would need to be the deciding factor. Daily distance is not important, staying at the same place for 2-3 days at a time and doing day rides out would be more than suitable and to be honest would most likely be all I would be capable of ^_^

Hostels would most likely be my choice of accomodation although camping would not be ruled out 100%, I'll decide on that a little nearer the time, whats the average cost per night for a hostel? and would they need to be booked in advance this time of year (end of September) ?

ATB

Tom

OP
OP
T

tpw

Tom pleased you found a good alternative bike, good luck with the treatment and I look foward to reading about your african adventure when you set off.

Yes thanks! although I've only had a very brief spin on the bike so far it felt so much more comfortable than the Cannondale, I think Pembrokeshire Bikes done me a fair trade in and I ended up with a more suitable bike for touring.

I've been to West Africa many times and usually buy a cheap bike out there to get around on, at the end of the holiday I give the bike away, theres always a local who is happy to recieve a set of wheels :bicycle:
For a while now I've been wanting to take some time out and cycle there but something or other seems to get in the way, the first obstacle was a total hip replacement :wacko: I just get over that then Mr Hodgkins Lymphoma comes knocking on my door :cycle: never mind, it'll give me more time for the planning stages :biggrin::biggrin:

ATB

Tom

OP
OP
T

tpw

TPW you have the absolute right attitude, very inspirational, keep it up..................

Cheers Jogger, it can be a bummer some days when you've got your head down the pan for the umteenth time but you just have to stay positive and look to the future :thumbsup:

ATB

Tom

Top Bottom