Mavic 12mm rear hub service question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I want to remove and lubricate the freehub on my Mavic 12mm through hub rear wheel.
I've googled everywhere, and everything I've found tells me to remove the cap at the end of the axle. No flats or Allen key provision. Mavic website only has animated videos, but this seems to say that the cap just pulls off. Seems tight on to me!
Anyone ever removed this, and if so how? Is it just a case of a strong right arm or is there some secret trick to removing this?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Pop into a vice (soft jaws if you have them!) and pull - they get a bit corroded on and can be tight

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The caps pop on, unless I'm thinking of something different - I bought an Aksium disc rear recently and had to change the thru axle caps to the QR ones

iluvmybike

Über Member
The caps pop on, unless I'm thinking of something different - I bought an Aksium disc rear recently and had to change the thru axle caps to the QR ones
Yes they do 'pop' on but they don't always easily 'pop' off! Hence the recommendation to put in a vice and give them a wiggle and a pull

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Thanks. I assumed they did. As mentioned the Mavic graphics indicate that, but mine doesn't want to move. As @iluvmybike suggests it will be stuck on through corrosion or accumulated road dirt.
I've ordered some soft jaws for my vice and will tread gingerly when they arrive.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Can't really remember about Mavic wheels but my old Hed Alps had a similar arrangement and it was possible to poke a rod down through the hollow axle, catch the lip of the inner cap and push it out . The first time needed a few blows around the lip to break the dirt seal.

Top Bottom