Mavic aksium vs fulcrum racing 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Do you think the difference is more to do with the bike your riding and the weather conditions? I know I always feel quicker on my summer bike than winter bike, I definitely climb better on my summer bike, but that's because I don't have my rucksack on like Monday to fri on my winter bike.

I ride both bikes to work, usually the winter bike, but with baby no.2 due any day now, I'm riding the summer bike to work to get some mileage on it as I don't think I'll be getting out much this summer! I still think the Aksiums have the edge on the Fulcrums, but the Fulcrum hubs and freewheel are easy to service - I had to do this after 1,500miles over winter.

Got my fulcrums today, put them on tonight, they look good on my bike, matches in well with the red hubs

Pics please! :biggrin:

Full wheel packages are great for weekend/race/training use...

If you ride in a city, lots of stop start, all weathers, then handbuilt are cheaper long term.

I'd thought about handbuilts for my winter bike/commuter - it had CXP22/Tiagra hubs/SS spokes but the freehub went kaput and the bearings were shot. My commute is my training time and generally I touch the brakes only a few times as it's mostly on country roads - I agree that rim wear would be an issue if you're commuting in town, I reckon I'd go 700c disc if that were the case.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bit of a tread resurection !

I am lookign for soem new wheels and i cant decide between RS11`s , mavic askiums or fulcrum racing 7`s,
Budget wise i prefer the rs 11`s as i can get them for under £100 from ribble and i have seen askiums for £144 at decathlon, the racing 7`s would be pushing my budget .

rb58

Enigma
I run 7s as the winter wheels on my summer bike (if that makes any sense). Three years on, probably 3,000 miles and they're still running true. And I'm no lightweight. However, I have serviced the hubs and I put new pawl springs in after one broke (which also made them much quieter than as stock). So I'm happy to recommend them. (Wiggle have them for £140). The summer wheels are Mavic Ksyriums, and they have been brilliant so if the Askiums are anything like them, they will also be a good wheel.

I run 7s as the winter wheels on my summer bike (if that makes any sense). Three years on, probably 3,000 miles and they're still running true. And I'm no lightweight. However, I have serviced the hubs and I put new pawl springs in after one broke (which also made them much quieter than as stock). So I'm happy to recommend them. (Wiggle have them for £140). The summer wheels are Mavic Ksyriums, and they have been brilliant so if the Askiums are anything like them, they will also be a good wheel.
Fulcrum racing 7's are £125 http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/racing-7-schwarz-shimano-8-9-10-11-speed-71801/wg_id-216 (P&P is £5)
I have the 2013 CX version and they have stood up to everything thrown at them including me going off-road, through fields (:whistle:) and hardcore converted railway. Even hit a really bad pothole that unseated me completely (nearly off the bike) and lost my water bottle in the process... wheels stayed true!

Thanks , with what i have sold here and on other forums/ebay i have just ordered a set of black/grey ,
I plan to stick the cxp 22`s on the virtuoso and keep the r 501s as back up wheels unless they can take a pannier rack weight ?
my OH is on R501's with a pannier rack and he weighs in around 85kg (or thereabout - he won't currently own up to what the scales say, claiming they are lying to him!)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Thanks , with what i have sold here and on other forums/ebay i have just ordered a set of black/grey ,
I plan to stick the cxp 22`s on the virtuoso and keep the r 501s as back up wheels unless they can take a pannier rack weight ?
Would be interested to know how you find the RS11's. They look better than R500's or R501's.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
my OH is on R501's with a pannier rack and he weighs in around 85kg (or thereabout - he won't currently own up to what the scales say, claiming they are lying to him!)
Should be ok then, i am about 10 and a half to 10 10 depending on how much choc / cycling i have partaken of .

Top Bottom