Mavic Askium WTS wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Aksium, rather

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got an older pair of Aksiums on my Basso which I thought were pretty good value for money, and the new ones will be a (slight?) improvement on them. I'm not familiar with your current wheels though so I couldn't say how much better the Aksiums would be. They are a medium weight wheel - not super-light, but not terribly heavy either. If your wheels are heavy, then you'll appreciate the weight saving where it counts most - on the wheels. Aksiums have a reputation for being very strong.

Broadside

Guru
WTS refers to the latest Aksium model which stands for Wheel Tyre System, basically you buy the wheels and get tyres with them now. I have got last years model which apparently are 60g heavier on the rim.

I am happy with the wheels but they did not make the big difference to my bike that I thought/hoped they would. Don't get me wrong they are good, bearings are smooth and free rolling, the wheels look good and feel stiff almost to the point of making he ride on my bike a bit harsher.

It depends what you are upgrading from, I had a pair of Alexrim 500 before which I replaced because of rim wear and a knackered freehub. It turns out that the Alexrims were actually pretty okay but I would always have been wondering had I not bought the Aksiums. I have no regrets buying the Aksiums as I use my bike a lot but beware they may not be a big step up, all depends what you are using at present.

Edge705

Depends what kind of cyclist you are and what you intend to use them for. IMO they have gone down in my estimation because they have trimmed far too much alloy from the rims in recent years to get the weight down. In fact my current pair are not half as rigid or reliable as my last pair and are currently relegated to a spare pair.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Depends what kind of cyclist you are and what you intend to use them for

There is the commute side to my riding but when I'm out "just because" it can be fairly relentless riding really, I find it hard taking it easy and have to go speeding along like a mad man lol.

I am having trouble finding the specs/weight of my current wheels on google, suppose I'll have to do it the old fashion way and get them off the bike
BUT
What wheels would you all recommend, shimano fit hubs at a reasonable price (none of this 600+ quid stuff lol)

Edge705

Some on here would say hand built wheels others swear by aksiums, fulcrum 7s ect ect - If you intend to ride the bike over rough surfaces on part or most of your commute and have the added weight of a backpack or panniers then your gonna need a strongish back wheel. Deep section rim wheels offer more rigidy where as I think aksiums are probably more suited to weekend racing than all year commuting unless of course you just amble along on your commute. My experince is based on riding as fast as I can in all weathers 28 miles a day throwing the bike in and out of gutter lines to dodge pot holes and with a back pack on unfortunately the wheels are not up to it and need truing frequently. However they are a good wheel and make a big difference to bike handling over cheap end wheels. Personaly I would keep on using the aksiums until you encounter issues like out of tru as they are a good set of wheels.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good wheels, bit of an ar$e to true as you need to ensure the bladed spokes don't twist - only adds a couple of minutes to do though.

Top Bottom